PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
slotted rotors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2011, 09:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default slotted rotors

I want to get some slotted rotors for Eve but i don't know if there's a difference between the cheap ones on eBay or the expensive one like from ebc or hawk. I already know i want Hawk PC's for pads but i just want to get an idea of what the rest of you have, with the rotors i mean. Which slotted rotors would be the best to get?
Old 28 Jan 2011, 10:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: slotted rotors

Hitup Adam (goes by baggedptturbo03) on ptcrew (That Rotor Shop) he had a group buy and can give you the best price. His have been proven to hold up very well. A plus is his zinc coating as well.

Also the pads i would reconsider. They are harsher on rotors an not needed unless your planning on track? Get regular ceramic pads and they will hold up longer and keep the wheels cleaner than factorys. (been there, done that too)
Old 29 Jan 2011, 12:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
Hitup Adam (goes by baggedptturbo03) on ptcrew (That Rotor Shop) he had a group buy and can give you the best price. His have been proven to hold up very well. A plus is his zinc coating as well.

Also the pads i would reconsider. They are harsher on rotors an not needed unless your planning on track? Get regular ceramic pads and they will hold up longer and keep the wheels cleaner than factorys. (been there, done that too)
thanx bro, i just finished sending him an email. i asked for the price of slotted & drilled and then just drilled. Hope he can hook me up good.
Old 29 Jan 2011, 12:27 am
Senior Cruiser

I wouldn't really bother with different rotors for your N/A but that's just my suggestion.

On the otherhand, I've got my eyes on these - Wilwood 12" Rotor Big Brake Kit 03-05 Neon SRT4 - 03-05 Dodge SRT4 Braking Systems, Hawk Brake Pads, Rotors, Big Brake Kits

Buddy had Wilwood brakes on his '69 Camaro and well, it was just Wow.
Old 29 Jan 2011, 12:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

I thought the hawk pc's were ceramic?
Old 31 Jan 2011, 10:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

I use EBC slotted rotors with Performance Friction pads on our Town & Country Minivan. My wife and I enjoy driving it, you see. And, yes, a minivan can be really fun. We really, really like the EBC rotors.

The issue with the name brand rotors versus the cheapies is less the slotting and drilling than it is the alloy and composition of the iron or steel casting. To be sure that you get a US, UK or Euro made rotor, you must buy a good brand and be prepared to pay for it. It is possible to get a good Chinese casting, but there is no way to know in advance if it is good or if it is junk-crap.

The problem is on-the-road heat treatment. Poor quality rotors will actually heat treat, or harden if you stop while the rotor is hot. The rotor will come to a stop with the pads over a given spot, and the rotor will cool everywhere but there because the pads insulate that segment. That differential cooling can anneal the rotor, causing a hard spot, which can then lead to pedal pulsing. On occasion, it can get so bad that the rotor will warp. With further stopping, the hard spot can wear less, and the pulse will get worse. Then you can't tell if the junk-crap casting has the carbon content well-mixed within the melt, which will make the differential hardening worse yet.

We got rid of the OEM rotors on the minivan at 18K miles after repeated on-the-road heat treatment problems, and never had it recur with good EBC rotors. Both my PTs are approaching new pad and rotor time. I'll probably be installing EBC or an equivalent on both.

Good brakes are cheap compared to the alternative. I am old enough to recall brake fade where I had a car that was good for one slowing from 50 coming westbound out of the Sierras on State Route 4, and after that, I had to find deep gravel.