Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT in the mountains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Feb 2011, 09:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT in the mountains

Do you live in a mountainous or hilly area and drive your PT Cruiser daily? What's your experience? I'm wondering how a regular non turbo engine will handle the hills when I do my annual vacations down through the Appalachians.
Old 02 Feb 2011, 11:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT in the mountains

Well, our club does the Blue Ridge Parkway every year, and I run the tail of the dragon and several other wicked back roads up in the Smokies and down the Appalachian. The turbos seem to pick up a bit in the higher altitude while the NA's seem to lose a bit. Still, when we caravan up there they seem to keep up pretty well. If you're planning on running that way should drop a line, our club is doing a run down the Blue Ridge Parkway this spring. Will be a total blast.
Old 03 Feb 2011, 04:51 am
Dedicated Cruiser

We dont live in the mountains but my wife and I travel to the Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge area on a pretty regular basis.Our PT's perform just as well as any other car we have had in the mountains.
Old 03 Feb 2011, 07:45 am
Regular Cruiser

I took my original N/A Touring Edition PT all the way from Pittsburgh, PA to Daytona, FL and back. I had no problems at all either way. Only thing that kind of sucked was the gas mileage if cruising over 70.
Old 03 Feb 2011, 08:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: PT in the mountains

we went to Lexington Va.last year and going up some of those mountains the cruiser acted like it was lethargic it wanted to stay in 2nd gear all the time,wish i had a manual trans.sometimes
Old 04 Feb 2011, 12:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mityqwik View Post
we went to Lexington Va.last year and going up some of those mountains the cruiser acted like it was lethargic it wanted to stay in 2nd gear all the time,wish i had a manual trans.sometimes
OMG my PT is soooo much fun on those back mountain roads like hwy 129, I mean such a hoot with the manual tranny! I'm just surprised I've never just burned the thing up...lol

I'm needing to kill off what's left of my tires so thinking of heading to Franklin this weekend, already set up my Garmin for nothing but back roads all the way there, then from there up the Blueridge Parkway to Boone, then back home. It's about 11 hours total, but so much fun! Need to wear off a 1/16th off the rear tires and 1/32nd off the fronts so I can trade them off for real cheapo, and might as well have fun hammering her into those curves doing it!!

Last edited by Chromenut; 04 Feb 2011 at 01:00 am.