PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Heater Blower Motor Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2011, 03:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Heater Blower Motor Issue

After having my 2002 PT sit for 3 days in the blizzard-like conditions we just experienced, I had a heater blower motor issue when I started it today. The car has a new battery in it, but it cranked a bit slow when trying to start it today. It finally kicked over, but I had abolutely no blower for the heater or defrost, no matter which position the knob on the dash was in.

I popped the hood and saw that the top of my battery and quite a few other things under the hood were totally covered in snow from where it had blown under the hood. I cleared away as much of the snow as I could. I checked fuse #10 in the box under the dash and #11 in the fusebox under the hood, and they were both good. The last couple of weeks I had been noticing that when the blower was turned on, the two lowest settings didn't seem like they did anything at all.

None of the parts stores around here carry the heater blower motor resistor module, but I did locate one at a dealer for $15 or so. Went back to restart the car after letting it sit for about an hour, and now I have a blower motor that works. This is so weird. Could snow have gotten to the resistor module somehow and caused an open connection? It looks like it's mounted on the firewall, but is underneath the cowl cover for the wiper arms. I'm going to go ahead and buy the one from the dealer, as I figure it may only be a matter of time till this happens again. How much of a pain are these things to get to and replace? It's colder than hell here, and I have no garage in which to work.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03 Feb 2011, 04:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Heater Blower Motor Issue

The Blower Motor Resistor Block sits under the passenger side cowl and that is subject to outside air (holes in the cowl) that feeds the interior flow through the filter (if you put a filter in/the PT didn't come with a filter from the factory). Snow and ice could have possibly gotten to the resistor block and froze it or gotten water to it to stop it from working.

Found this on replacing it.

The resistor block is located in the cowl at the base of the windshield,
passenger's side, underneath the cowl screen, just inboard of the
passenger's side strut tower. Gotta remove the windshield wipers and the
cowl screen to get at it. It looks like a wiring plug that would go into
the dash, but it actually pops out of the firewall after you unplug the
wires from it.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 03 Feb 2011, 05:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the info, Carey. I'm going to go ahead and buy the factory part and hang onto it until I absolutely have to replace it. In the meantime, I am going to look for something that I can cover the cowl area on that side of the windshield with when it snows overnight. We had a couple of days of really nasty weather here, and the car just sat out in it, since I don't have a garage.

We had high winds (35-45mph), and I hadn't even thought about the wind packing the area under the hood with snow. I brushed away as much as I could see this afternoon, warmed the car up thoroughly and parked it with the front end facing the sun. Hopefully this will hold me over until we get a break in the weather and I find someone's garage that I can pull it into. Working on your vehicle in the driveway sucks in general, but is especially horrible in the winter.
Old 03 Feb 2011, 05:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hate to even think about it, but I do get a taste of it when I visit the Grandkids in Virginia during the Xmas Holidays. Take the wife's car though. I do remember some really bad winters back in Maryland during my working days. The Vette and my son's Eagle Talon Turbo AWD stayed in the garage while my daily driver (red Nissan) and the wife's Aqua Chevy Geo stayed outside.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 03 Feb 2011, 06:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

In the meantime; Park so the front of your car is facing AWAY from the prevailing winds...this will help to keep the snow from blowing up under the hood.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 10:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscanlan View Post
After having my 2002 PT sit for 3 days in the blizzard-like conditions we just experienced, I had a heater blower motor issue when I started it today. The car has a new battery in it, but it cranked a bit slow when trying to start it today. It finally kicked over, but I had abolutely no blower for the heater or defrost, no matter which position the knob on the dash was in.

I popped the hood and saw that the top of my battery and quite a few other things under the hood were totally covered in snow from where it had blown under the hood. I cleared away as much of the snow as I could. I checked fuse #10 in the box under the dash and #11 in the fusebox under the hood, and they were both good. The last couple of weeks I had been noticing that when the blower was turned on, the two lowest settings didn't seem like they did anything at all.

None of the parts stores around here carry the heater blower motor resistor module, but I did locate one at a dealer for $15 or so. Went back to restart the car after letting it sit for about an hour, and now I have a blower motor that works. This is so weird. Could snow have gotten to the resistor module somehow and caused an open connection? It looks like it's mounted on the firewall, but is underneath the cowl cover for the wiper arms. I'm going to go ahead and buy the one from the dealer, as I figure it may only be a matter of time till this happens again. How much of a pain are these things to get to and replace? It's colder than hell here, and I have no garage in which to work.

Thanks,
Steve
Well there are many trouble happening specially in snowy season, anyway let your car stay in park as for this moment.