PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Issue with ac and heater when turn dial on.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2011, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Issue with ac and heater when turn dial on.

I have a 2006 cruiser and everytime I turn the dial on for either heat or ac air it makes this one time bang noise. THen everything is fine, its just when I turn it on to get air. If anyone could help me on what this could be that would be great. Thank you.
Old 03 Feb 2011, 06:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Issue with ac and heater when turn dial on.

Welcome to The Forum Steff. I believe that is the "door" opening and closing to redirect the air.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 03 Feb 2011, 06:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Talking Re: Issue with ac and heater when turn dial on.

i have an 2006 cruiser also and it makes the same noise and what Hooligan said it's the door opening to let air come thru your vents
Old 03 Feb 2011, 10:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you somuch for the help. So this is normal then and won't cause any further issues?
Old 04 Feb 2011, 03:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Steph, I've had the same problem on my 2000 Mit. Mirage, as well as, my new Ford Ranger. It only seems to happen after I've not used the A/C for a few days. The PT doesn't do it--and we've had it since it was new in 2003.

It does not sound like a door opening to let the cool air pass. It sounds like something is being shook loose at the A/C compressor. Maybe it's the compressor clutch. It actually sounds like a part has rusted shut--and suddenly breaks loose.

It only lasts for a second, then all is well. I drove my Mitsubishi Mirage for 8 years and the A/C did this if I didn't run it every day. I sold the car recently--and the A/C still worked as well as when the car was new. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Tim
Old 06 Feb 2011, 12:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes it only does it right when you turn the dial. It doesn't seem to affect anything but I just wanted to make sure it was not going to cause any problems.
My a/c isnt that great and doesn't seem to get as cold as it should but I was told that it probably just needs resetting. Is there a way to reset your ac without having to take it to a mechanic?
Old 06 Feb 2011, 06:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Whoever told you it needs to be "reset", ask them what they are talking about. There's nothing to "reset". You might need to top off the R134 refrigerant but unless you know what your doing you could do more harm than good. Most A/C places will do a free check of your system. You don't have to buy anything you don't want to so try not to get talked into something you can't afford. Remember, your system IS running now, just not as cold as it should so it's probably a matter of topping it off. Don't let them tell you it needs a evacuation of the old stuff before topping off. It's a money maker if your just low.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com