Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Long time no see

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2011, 12:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Long time no see

Just dropping in to say hello again. I haven't been on this forum for a couple of years, but came across it when googling info for the rear bumper.

Amazingly, my PT is still running and I haven't had any major issues with it. It was running well enough one year after the last motor replacement that my husband replaced the stock intake with a high-flow intake, and I got it a set of new wheels (after I found out that one OE PT Cruiser wheel costs just about as much as a full set of non-OE ones!). It is running well enough that I have quit calling it my POS. And, I still love it. So much so that when my brother offered to give me his 2008 Infinity G35 in exchange for getting rid of my PT, I turned him down.

The reason I was looking for rear bumper info is because I got rear-ended yesterday. There doesn't seem to be any apparent damage to either me or the car, despite the loud noise I heard, but my husband said that there might be damage to the underlying structure (the car's). How do we check that? Honestly, when I got hit, given my car's history, the first thought that crossed my mind was, "Crap! My tranny just blew up!"

Last edited by RNCRUZR; 05 Feb 2011 at 05:42 pm.
Old 05 Feb 2011, 01:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Long time no see

i was rear ended and like you i did not notice any damage BUT when i grabbed my back bumper i could move it ,i removed the back bumper and i replaced the bumper energy absorber it was damage ,,it had done its job and to me it would drive me up the wall,driving around with something on my cruiser that was damage.the movement was gone after i replaced bumper energy absorber it does not cost much but i recommend 2 people to remove and installed the bumper.
Old 05 Feb 2011, 11:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Long time no see

Wow, been a long time since I've seen your name around here. Are you getting along with your PT now, or still angry? I gotta find the last conversation we had as it gave me lots to chuckle about...

Good to see you back, even better to know you're all right!

As to the rear end, you really need to get a mechanic to get it up on a lift, tell them what happened and ask them for a free estimate. This way you can walk underneath and look up at the rear end. Lots of rear enders with PT's end up affecting the lift gate, but you have to just test open it to see if it's got any glitches. The other test is to run through a touchless car wash with high pressure sprayers and see if the back gate leaks. It would show around the bottom of the gate more than likely.

Hope all is well, nice to hear from you again!

Last edited by Chromenut; 05 Feb 2011 at 11:50 pm.