PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
more stuff for my love

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2011, 05:04 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default more stuff for my love

ok so i did an oil change with castrol and a bosch filter. i wanted to go all out Mobile 1 but it wasn't in the budget. One thing that concerned me is that, when i drained the oil nothing really came out. maybe about a quart or so. is this normal for a 2.4 or do you think i might have sludge build up? Also, i only had to put 3 quarts in, is that normal too, or do i need to check the oil again? anyways heres the pix.

before the tint

after the tint

The Punisher badge. it's actually bigger then i thought it was gonna be.

And this is at the end of a day of pampering, wash, wax, and make up.

Last edited by WolfmanG; 06 Feb 2011 at 05:09 am. Reason: cause i left something out.
Old 06 Feb 2011, 07:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: more stuff for my love

You have the exterior looking great but you have a major engine problem that needs immediate attention. If only one quart of oil dropped out when you pulled the filter, you have a serious blockage than needs to be seen to or the engine is going to be destroyed.

Either that or you have a major oil leak and lost the remaining oil since the last time you changed it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Feb 2011, 08:12 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I agree.If you only had one quart come out something is wrong.But you do have it looking good.
Old 06 Feb 2011, 08:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Yes you should put an oil pressure guage on it.

I would keep an eye on your oil level and do some short interval oil changes.

I would go to wally world and buy some shell T6 5w-40 synthetic which is relatively cheap at 19$ a gallon and is for diesels. It is loaded with detergents and should help clean any crap in the engine.

Take a pic of the oil filler hole in the valve cover.

BTW you didnt say how many miles were on the batch of oil you dumped out nor when you changed it last nor when you checked the oil level last.

If you only had a qt come out you have a problem.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 06 Feb 2011, 09:08 am
Banned

gkid, it appears from what I think I'm seeing in the pictures that you have the car jacked to the jacks "full" extension. If this is true and you don't have the other side of the car up to the same height by using your jack stands, then the oil in the pan will will go to the "low" side of the pan. Since the drain plug would then be on the "high" side of the pan, some of the oil would not exit through the drain hole after you removed the plug. If I'm reading the pictures wrong then "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain".

Also, you did pre-fill the filter right? What is the level now?

If it was me I would drain it again, but put the tilt the other direction so the driver side of the engine is highest. Also, I would put in about 8 oz. of Marvel Mystry oil and run it for a short time and then drain. The oil needs to be hot before you drain it. Hot oil is thinner oil and will drain more completely.

Hope this helps

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 06 Feb 2011 at 09:15 am.
Old 06 Feb 2011, 09:21 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
gkid, it appears from what I think I'm seeing in the pictures that you have the car jacked to the jacks "full" extension. If this is true and you don't have the other side of the car up to the same height by using your jack stands, then the oil in the pan will will go to the "low" side of the pan. Since the drain plug would then be on the "high" side of the pan, some of the oil would not exit through the drain hole after you removed the plug. If I'm reading the pictures wrong then "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain".

If it was me I would drain it again, but put the tilt the other direction so the driver side of the engine is highest. Also, I would put in about 8 oz. of Marvel Mystry oil and run it for a short time and then drain. The oil needs to be hot before you drain it. Hot oil is thinner oil and will drain more completely.

Hope this helps

Jerry

Yeah,after looking closer at the picture it does look like your car is at a sharp angle so that might be the reason you didnt get much oil out of it.
Old 06 Feb 2011, 01:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I know a girl who can suck the oil right outta that thang! Only cost you 2 bills... dude, so diggin those chrome flames...

I see you have the standard issue Texas driveway. Three of my four houses in Texas had that. Friggin that caliche expansive clay soil there is hell on cement pads, patios, foundations and driveways.
Old 06 Feb 2011, 04:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post

Hope this helps

Jerry
see that what i thought too, so i left the filter off and then lowered the car, but maybe i should've picked it up on the other side to see what happens.
Old 06 Feb 2011, 04:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

thanx guys for all of the advice. But since i got her last year this is the first time i changed the oil. i haven't had any probs with the engine. The other night when i lifted her i did notice a lot of splashed oil around the filter. I checked the filter and it was really loose. so i tightented it but i never thought to check the damn levels. I'm totally a dumb ass for not keeping up with that but i am now. i'm gonna go check the level in a min.
But for an other question i had, is it normal to only put 3 quarts of oil into a 4 cylinder? It's been like 8 yrs since i had one, which was the Neon i rolled.
Old 06 Feb 2011, 04:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I know a girl who can suck the oil right outta that thang! Only cost you 2 bills... dude, so diggin those chrome flames...

I see you have the standard issue Texas driveway. Three of my four houses in Texas had that. Friggin that caliche expansive clay soil there is hell on cement pads, patios, foundations and driveways.
Lol yeah all of our driveways are like that. stupid moving ground.