PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Door lock problems

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2012, 05:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Door lock problems

GREAT! I got an used 03' year PT cruiser RKEM for 25 from web add and just put it on my 01' PT. Now everything works perfectly! I also got the keyfob which came with it so no reprogramming of my keyfob needed.

Installing it was pretty easy, disconnected batteries negative cable and removed the front and top dash (a little hassle with that), from their on it was just a matter of mounting the new RKEM and assembling the rest back to way it was.

Only thing that I noticed not working is the security siren. The lights flash and all, but no sound.. Any ideas anyone?

Well, til now, that's all folks!
Old 18 Jun 2012, 05:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

there is a way to program the features you want or don't want. i did it with mine to stop the horn from chirping when i lock or unlock via the keyfob.

unfortunately, it was so long ago i don't remember how. i'll see if i can find some info for you.

found something to try.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Disable_th...irp_pt_cruiser

Last edited by soyomb; 18 Jun 2012 at 05:46 pm.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 06:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sound on locking, and whether one click on the remote opens the driver's door, or all the doors, are programmable - the Owner's manual tells you how.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Jun 2012, 12:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, but all new problem came out Today.. !!

I had the RKEM changed, and everything was working smooth, doors locking and unlocking perfectly. Have been driving around since then for many times and have made a lot of stops, but now when I got home and I closed the doors from the keyfob like any other time, and later when I had to go out again, and tried to open the doors from the fob, the remote just would not work!!!
Totally out of the blue, I tried everything, even changed the batteries in the remote, but still nothing?!

This is driving me nuts, I hate to believe that another RKEM has gone bad, all the other functions work, just the remote seems to give no signal, or the RKEM does not receive one.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!!
Old 19 Jun 2012, 02:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

have you checked the fuse for the rkem?

edit:

n/m. i didn't read that all the other functions work. try reprogramming the fob.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I tried that trick to hold on to the unlock button 10sec and then also include the close button for 5 sec, but nothing happens.. Also tried to do this vice versa, and all the possible ways with the key in ignition and out of ignition.

Is there another way to do this? I only have one fob(it does not have panic button on it)

The other thing is, when I open the fob, it confuses me a little, because I understand about the ' - ' connection, on top of which the two batteries sit, it is a metal connector which reaches to the circuit board, but what about the ' + ' side, their seems to be no connector? seems to be just plastic, or is there some kind of other trick which makes it work, anyhow it worked before.. so no ideas, no ideas..
Old 20 Jun 2012, 11:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Still nothing, fob does not work, any ideas?

PS. Whats that little button for, which is located on the small receiver in the middle of the top dash?
Old 25 Jun 2012, 02:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok the remote started to work by itself and worked for about 1 day, and stopped again .. ,maybe someone has any thoughts?
Old 26 Jun 2012, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Re: Door lock problems

I seem to be talking to myself around here ,but what I now discovered is that when I put the remote really close (atleast 1cm) to the receiver which is that little button in the middle of the top dash, I get a signal.. So it seems to be that the signal which comes out of the remote is too weak, or.. no idea
Old 13 Jun 2013, 05:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi everyone,

a year later I am at it with the same old problem .. The remote has stopped working again. At first the remote started working occasionally, then only when put very close to the RKE module and now nothing. I have changed the batteries etc, but nothing happening. I am starting to think that it can not be the RKE failing all the time and it has to be something else. If anybody has some ideas then it would be nice to hear (: Also, can someone please tell me exactly what this button does. It is located on top of the RKE module on the instrument panel/dash board .. http://i42.tinypic.com/wvojn5.jpg .. It has an about 1m long black wire attached to it which goes through the vent hole and on the other end attaches to the same cable that connects to the RKE module. I have not seen this on other PT's when doing a google search, so perhaps the issue is related to this?

Cheers,