Advertisements
Door lock problems

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2011, 04:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Door lock problems

Hi All,

I'm new to this but it seems like everyone is very nice and helpful. I have a 2001 base PT. Today while driving, my door locks began erratically trying to lock. In the same way they do when the car hits 15mph after having the doors unlocked. The rear hatch lock also seemed to be making a noise as well (almost a grinding noise) when the locks were acting up. I've read other posts where the RKE module was the problem, but all those situations seemed to be the doors unlocking and locking; mine was just locking. Wondering if anyone has had similar problems or knows a solution. Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Last edited by moparfan1; 06 Feb 2011 at 05:43 pm.
Old 06 Feb 2011, 05:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Door lock problems

You've already ran across others with the RKE problem. It's the only module that controls all the locks. I take it that it started happening when you reached the 15mph mark?
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 06 Feb 2011, 06:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I cant help with your problem but welcome to the forum.
Old 06 Feb 2011, 09:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the response....correct, I was at speeds 0f 30-40 mph. For now I've removed the fuse for the locks.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 10:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hello, did you find a solutions for this problem ? Same thing happening on my PT, back doors just keep locking on themselves whenever I drive around, also took the fuse out. One other thing I noticed that sometimes occasionally the horn would also honk (so I also took that fuse out). Now I can only hear some clicking under the dash.

As this has not been worse enough, now lately things have gone even more crazy, for example when I turn left and have the signal light on, it would still try to close the back doors, even with the fuse out. And one other thing I noticed is that when I put the fuse in, while car is parked, the central locking works fine from the buttons on the door, but when I also put the key in fob and turn, the locks stop working. So, this is crazy and I have no Idea whats going on, right now I am trying to get a schedule to get it examined, but til then, does anyone have any idea, moparfan1 did you get it fixed?

..Oh, and also, I think I should remark, that only time when the door clicking starts to occur in these about one second intervals, is whilst there is even the slightest pressure on the gas pedal, release the pedal and the clicking or closing is over.

Last edited by WHOOHW; 10 Jun 2012 at 11:10 am.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 02:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Same problems here (after trip to mechanic [I will call them on it]). I have been hearing clicks under the dash, especially when going under 20MPH and sometimes all the doors will suddenly unlock. This weekend it even looked like the whole keyless entry system was activating as the dash was clicking, doors were opening, and the dash lights were flashing like if my headlights and/or parking lights were going on and off as well. It seems to be getting worse over time. Bummer....

Hopefully worst case scenario it is the RKE System everyone is talking about here.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 03:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicBQPT View Post
Same problems here (after trip to mechanic [I will call them on it]). I have been hearing clicks under the dash, especially when going under 20MPH and sometimes all the doors will suddenly unlock. This weekend it even looked like the whole keyless entry system was activating as the dash was clicking, doors were opening, and the dash lights were flashing like if my headlights and/or parking lights were going on and off as well. It seems to be getting worse over time. Bummer....

Hopefully worst case scenario it is the RKE System everyone is talking about here.
how old is your battery? what you are describing is classic for the cells dying in a battery. also check the cables and grounds for deterioration.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 03:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Hi, my battery was replaced about 1.5-2 years ago with a duralast red-top, and I had the alternator replaced last year. I checked the cable to battery connection and it looks fine. I have not checked the length of the cable or grounds. I may start there tonight. Thanks
Old 11 Jun 2012, 04:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My battery is also about 2 years old.

I got an appointment to an electrician/mechanic for Wednesday early morning, so I guess I will not go touching anything anymore til then.

Will keep this forum posted as of how things turn out, until then if anyone has anymore ideas, shoot..
Old 18 Jun 2012, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

OKei, I got the answer, and they said that the RKEM (Remote Keyless Entry Module) was failing. Paid 92 for this information and that the new module is to cost 178 + work (+ 2 weeks waiting time).

Does anyone know, what would happen if I would take the module completely out? Would only the central locking and all that has to do with the remote disappear, or does the module have any more important tasks to hold?

Or maybe their is a way to fix the module myself

Good Luck!

Last edited by WHOOHW; 18 Jun 2012 at 11:57 am.