Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2 things need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2011, 06:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default 2 things need help

1st of all I don't know why everytime I reset my password i can enter the site but than when I try again it won't let me and I have to make a new password...annoying.....also can someone show me which bottle/resevoir under the hood is the power steering bottle?my powersteering fluid keeps running out onto the garage floor..i'm going to fill it in the am and take it to my mechanic...the powersteering pump was replaced once already...now whats the problem?Very stiff steering
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 06 Feb 2011, 07:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2 things need help

'Armstrong' steering?

on my '01 it's located about 3/4 back, left of center.

It says 'power steering fluid' on it ...

Just look for the leak, try to figure out what area its leaking from, get some
engine cleaner, wash engine and rack thoroughly
Old 06 Feb 2011, 07:25 pm
Banned

Nope, from his sig he has a GT so his reservoir would be directly above his a/c compressor near the thermostat. It will be marked "power steering".

Jerry
Old 06 Feb 2011, 08:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

first I heard a squealing on fri am on a cold winter morning...than 8 hrs later noisy stiff steering...mechanic topped up power steering fld....fri....good until sat 7.30pm...than stiff steering and fliuid all over garage floor....could it be a belt....and ruptured hose?
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 06 Feb 2011, 08:33 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

No,it couldnt be a belt.It sounds like you have a pretty big leak if it ran out that fast.All you can do is clean the engine bay and see where it's coming from.That or have somebody check it out for you.
Old 06 Feb 2011, 10:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

parked car in garage...located power steering bottle...put white towel under car....filled resevoir with new fluid seemed to stay full..............started car....saw fluid swirling around in resevoir and belt turning....and fluid level dropping.........looked under car there is a black hose at the bottom of the car leaking the fluid in a constant rapid drip.....guess this is where it is coming from....off to the mechanic again in the am...hope they can fix it...why do things like this always happen when the wife needs her vehicle tommorow and i need to pick my parents up from the airport in the afternoon?????Is this hose some kind of high pressure hose?
Old 07 Feb 2011, 08:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

Dunno on yours, my '01 has the high pressure hose running under the engine.
You could drive it, as you said you wouldn't need to do your upper body
workout at gym, and the car will get a good application of undercoating

Small chance it could catch on fire, but then you wouldn't need to worry about replacing the hose.

You could replace it your self, need some flare wrenches-
Old 07 Feb 2011, 11:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

if its just a steady stream its NOT the hi pressure hose that one will empty the cup in a matter of seconds its a pain to replace btu it can be done
Old 07 Feb 2011, 11:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

well 2 hoses replaced...new fluid...2 hours labour.....$360.and change.....hope thats it for awhile
Old 08 Feb 2011, 11:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyk View Post
well 2 hoses replaced...new fluid...2 hours labour.....$360.and change.....hope thats it for awhile
Doh!! That sounds way expensive to replace a hose, did you bring it to the stealer?

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson