PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Changing Front Disc Brakes and Front Bumper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2011, 10:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Changing Front Disc Brakes and Front Bumper?

I know on drum brakes you have to replace some of the hardware whenever you change pads. I was wondering if theres hardware that needs to be replaced when I change the rotors and pads on the front discs. My mom's friend is going to do the front disc brakes on my PT and I have to buy the parts so I'm wondering what else I need to buy besides the rotors and pads.

Also my replacement front bumper cover finally arrived and I was wondering what hardware is holding the front on because whoever owned the car before me had MANY accidents and the cover is held on with zip-ties. So what type of fasteners hold it on and the size would really help me. THANKS
Old 09 Feb 2011, 10:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Changing Front Disc Brakes and Front Bumper?

For front brakes, you'll need anti-rattle clips, just ask for brake hardware in any auto parts store. It costs around $7.

BTW, you also need pads and rotors.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 01:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

You might consider getting a little, tiny tube of orange or blue glurp that sort of glues the pads to the calipers and pistons to keep them from setting up a super-high frequency vibration that sounds like a whine. While it is not strictly necessary, if you are young and your hearing is still good, it will drive you absolutely batty if it occurs. Second, the parts counter person may also try to sell you a tiny tube of high temperature synthetic caliper bolt slider lubricant. Some pads will already include it, so it is good to check. If they don't, I suggest that you spend the extra $3 to buy it. Follow the instructions exactly, and use it sparingly. It will help prevent the calipers from locking up or seizing months or years later, and will help make the brakes wear more evenly. I use it every time in this hot climate. It's a lesson I learned with my first set of disc brakes. (My in-laws' very elderly 1964 Mercedes 220S, which had the whine that drive my then-young wife and I absolutely batty.)

As for the brake pads, I recommend against ceramic brake pads. I know that maybe 90% of the list members will disagree with me. I don't like the hard feel that ceramic pads give, and the speed at which they wear out the discs. I prefer to use Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads, when I can find them. or Hawk metallic pads other times. Non-ceramic pads will dust the front wheels, but that dust just tells me that the pads are doing their jobs and I wash it off. EBC also makes good non-ceramic pads. As for discs, please try to avoid Chinese discs. What can happen with them is that their unpredictable metallurgy can cause them to "heat treat" after the car has stopped, when they are hot. The insulating effect of the pads over the place on the rotor where they have stopped can cause a hardened spot, and will cause pedal pulsation. A rotor made in the US, UK or Europe will cost more, but should have good steel or iron metallurgy. I am now using exclusively EBC slotted rotors and I can recommend them without reservations.

Have fun!
Old 11 Feb 2011, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you're picking up the parts, NAPA has a good selection - avoid the cheapest, and you probably don't need the most expensive. 7% discount if you're an AAA member.
All PT pads are the same size, turbo rotors (disks) are fatter, and won't fit non-GT calipers.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Feb 2011, 03:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i bought a set of the better pads at NAPPA and they came with the lub and the new anti rattle clips kind of cool they were $68 for the set and yes they are ceramic but that is what I wanted the rotors they had in 2 prices one was like $19 and the other was a borg warner and it was like $39
I bought the orange no rattle

thats about all you need I usally give the calipers a really good bath in break clean and then lub the pins relaly good if you havent done this a lot you may need a big C clamp to compress the pistons

the breaks on the PT are pretty easy to change
Old 11 Feb 2011, 09:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
I usally give the calipers a really good bath in break clean and then lub the pins relaly good
how did you do it?
Old 11 Feb 2011, 10:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

are your rotors that bad that they need to be changed? if they can be cut then you can save some money on that.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 10:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

gkid the rotors on the PT are not the best when new Id say he could ahev them turned and ti would save some cash but I have a break lathe and I didnt even bother

you are right thought if they have not been turned id bet they could be

edb
All you have to do is get a couple cans of break clena I usally take a air hose blow all the dust and then take a brush and get all the bud or whatever and then use the break clen to get the rest off it will dry quick and do a good job of clenaing I dont usally ware gloves and it really dryus out your hands then the pins are what the caliper slids on it will be clean so just grease it up and away you go
Old 11 Feb 2011, 11:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
gkid the rotors on the PT are not the best when new Id say he could ahev them turned and ti would save some cash but I have a break lathe and I didnt even bother

you are right thought if they have not been turned id bet they could be

edb
All you have to do is get a couple cans of break clena I usally take a air hose blow all the dust and then take a brush and get all the bud or whatever and then use the break clen to get the rest off it will dry quick and do a good job of clenaing I dont usally ware gloves and it really dryus out your hands then the pins are what the caliper slids on it will be clean so just grease it up and away you go
sorry i'm not big on reading. lol but i think rotors can be turned at least once if they're not to bad.
Old 12 Feb 2011, 02:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

yes you are right they can and some times 2 times what i was saying is that the rotors on the PT are pretty reasonable os for me anyway i justchanged them nto if you were to have the drilled and slotted ones well they can get kind of pricy