Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Oil Pressure Light?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2011, 08:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil Pressure Light?

Has anyone else experienced a faulty oil pressure warning light? My 2003 DreamCruiser 2 has this annoying problem. The light (and annoying bell chime) comes on sporadically, usually when I left off the gas pedal. I have checked the oil and the oil pressure and all seems well. Could the sensor be bad??

Thanks for any advice!

Proud owner of 2003 Dream Cruiser #40
Old 10 Feb 2011, 12:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Pressure Light?

Welcome to the forum. Yes quite a few owners have had problems with the oil pressure sensor. Once, replaced, the problem goes away. Other advice is to always buy genuine Chrysler/MOPAR brand electrical parts as after market store bought sensors don't work very well or fail altogether in a short time.

neverwillbe likes this.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 11 Feb 2011, 12:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ah, yes, the haunted oil pressure sender problem. My 2004 is presently afflicted with it. On the first start in the morning, it will come on, and then turn off. Sometimes, it will not turn off, or it will turn back on. All I have to do is shut off the engine, and restart, and it is fine for the rest of the day. I think the sender needs a cup of coffee or something. Actually, it needs a new sender.

I've searched the forum, discovered that it is a widespread problem that is not a problem. When my wife takes the minivan in for its 30K mile service, she'll buy a new sender, and I'll replace it in due time.

If pressure checks out OK, you have nothing to worry about. If it was a real problem, I would have slagged the engine in mine months ago.
neverwillbe likes this.
Old 12 Feb 2011, 01:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

just replace the sensor and 9 out of 10 times the problem goes way just use a MOPAR sensor
Old 12 Feb 2011, 01:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

sorry about the prob's ur having with your baby. She's beautiful by the way. I wish my Eve(07 Touring Ed) was a dreamer, but she is what she is and i love her anyways. Greetings from san antonio, welcome to the site.
Old 12 Feb 2011, 01:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

so do the dream crusers all ahve the palm trees on the rear badge
Old 12 Feb 2011, 11:18 am
Cool Cruiser

The oil pressure sensor is probably bad. I'm 99% sure mine is. I have a shopping list for the two PTs we own, for the next visit to the dealer. All minor stuff.
Old 26 Feb 2011, 01:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjroadster View Post
Could this be my problem? light sensor is coming on and off while I am driving. And I also hear a ticking noise sort. It seems to come from the engine but I am not sure. As I've checked on Chrysler repair questions this can be due to some leaks but I hava a feeling that something is really wrong with the oil pressure sensor. Where should I look first?
If you are hearing a ticking and seeing the oil light, I'd really suspect that you do have an oil problem. Ticking could be a lack of oil getting to the lifters/valves.

Is your oil level OK? Is the oil clean? Does the engine look clean under the oil cap?
Old 26 Feb 2011, 01:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calab View Post
If you are hearing a ticking and seeing the oil light, I'd really suspect that you do have an oil problem. Ticking could be a lack of oil getting to the lifters/valves.

Is your oil level OK? Is the oil clean? Does the engine look clean under the oil cap?
x2 and yikes
Old 27 Feb 2011, 10:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
x2 and yikes
X3 and yes. This from someone who has the haunted oil pressure sender. In my case, restarting the engine makes it go away. But no ticking sound.

Get it looked at NOW!!