PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Anyone change their own Fuel pump?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2011, 08:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Anyone change their own Fuel pump?

I have a few questions guys. 2002 Pt Cruiser, base model 105,000 miles.
1)What is the fuel psi. suppose to be at idle? (haven't got a gauge yet but I will)

2) Is the fuel pump hard to change out? Has anyone done it themselves?

3)How much does it cost to change the fuel pump @ the dealer?

4)How much does a fuel pump cost?

Problems::: car has a rattling sound coming from the engine when driving; around the engine area. Only under light throttle.
Idle is pretty horrible. gas mileage WAY OFF. I took the vacuum hose loose the engine got real loud & idle's higher like it suppose to and stop stumbling... but of course the idle is high so I put the hose back on,engine quiet back down but Idle goes down then start stumbling back again.

Driving down the road sound almost like its pinging/rattling sound when slightly on the pedal, once off the pedal or going down hill its fine but back on the gas to go up the hill still rides like its on 3 cylinders.

I changed the wires, plugs, coil pack today. Same ole same ole.
Car cranks fine on the first try.

The only thing i can think of is I KEEP preaching to my wife, begging my wife, telling my wife to never let the gas go below 1/8th or better yet NEVER LET IT GET ON "E"....

This is a normally //aspirated car.
But I promise I've seen that car light on past "E" at least 10 times.... AT THE LEAST!!!! She just don't get it, I keep telling her ONE day that pump is going to go out, and not to call me...

Now ok I feel a little better now. could someone please answer my first questions I have posted just in case it's the worse case scenario, I'm letting her PAY for the pump out of her pocket & I'll try to install it.

But I need to try to find the answer to the questions first before I look into it being a tps sensor or bad gas. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 09:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Anyone change their own Fuel pump?

Hello clark6. any check engine lights on , fuel pump is in gas tank ,tank has to be dropped down to change , would not take to dealer charge to much , try to find mechanic that you can trust.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 09:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks, I am my mechanic that I can trust.
She didn't see a check engine light, I didn't see a check engine light. But I did put my Actron Code reader on it before the plug and wire change today and it did have cylinder 1 & 3 misfires I think.. It was 3 misfires I know that but which ones I dunno. That's when I changed the wires & plugs (Autolite). Disconnected the battery Rechecked the codes None listed now. But still idle's And does it's thing. Found a little info on the Manual. Fuel psi is 58 +/- 5. Kinda high??? My Buick is 38/43 and it has a turbo on it. I think my truck is around 40 or 48.

58? no wonder these cars doesn't get too great of gas mileage. They need to lower that a little I think.

I've changed my Silverado fuel pump and the Turbo Buick so maybe this little low rider car won't be too bad. Just wondering if I have to disconnect the fuel filler tube or not.
I hate those plastic disconnect tab locks I like to have broke one on a guys car one time and it wouldn't stop leaking. Until after about 3 tries, I like to have broke it.

But like I say I have to verify the Fuel pressure first before I go this route. Hopefully bad gas.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 10:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

I would change the filter first
Old 12 Mar 2011, 10:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
I would change the filter first
You realize the filter is in the pump? And that is in the tank?
Old 13 Mar 2011, 07:17 am
Young Cruiser

Yeah I was trying to follow the fuel lines, didn't see a filter either.
So I assumed there was no external filter but the one only in the tank.

I'll let you know what the pressure was this evening.

If I do have to get one (hope I don't) but I do need to find the problem.

Think I should get a Bosch filter from Napa $254.00
or the Napa brand $249.00.

Autozone has one for $200 Airtek brand. But I think I'll pass on that.

I thought low fuel psi. would make the car Not crank or at least run then shut off? All this one does is the engine just sit there and shake as soon as you crank it & not run smooth and quiet like it use to. No codes this time either.

I know of only 2 vehicles that showed misfire while driving after the plugs/wires/rotor was changed, my Silverado and a ladies Jeep Cherokee both turned out to be the fuel pump but they showed a misfire code even after cleared out but this one doesn't. Until then I always thought the vehicle would show codes on electrical problems & emissions and if it didn't and you had driveability problems then it was fuel related...... guess not.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 07:23 am
Young Cruiser

Oh yeah I put in Autolite plug wires like I had in there originally, got over 60,000 miles out of those wires then I had the Champion 7570 plugs I think gapped .50, I didn't check the old ones but this time I put Autolite single platinum gapped .50 also.

Last edited by clark6; 13 Mar 2011 at 07:25 am.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 09:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

.50 isn't bad (as you found out) but at some time (around 2004) Chrysler changed their mind and sent out a TSB saying that .40 was better so they last longer. Some take that advise as for only being for that one model year that the TSB came out but that doesn't make sense so we advise anyone who asks to gap their plugs at .40.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 13 Mar 2011, 10:07 am
Young Cruiser

ok, will do. Wires should last around 50,000 shouldn't they. (good brand).
But platinum plugs should last twice that or longer shouldn't they.

My Silverado came with Bosch platinum plugs & the Factory AC delco wires & were good for 100,000. Miles.
By the plugs in the PT are platinum they should be good that long also shouldn't they?
Old 13 Mar 2011, 10:48 am
Regular Cruiser

no, i was unaware of the filter being attached to the pump. oh well, geuss you can change it then if it reads low pressure. that kind of sucks thats its all one unit.

my old school 81 bmw ran 70 or 80 pounds of pressure. the higher pressure lets the fuel atomize better and gives you the pressure to inject it into a higher compression motor. just a note on fuel pressure