PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 ptcruiser overheating problem with bubbling noise

View Poll Results: Should I drive my car when it's being like this anyway?
Yes 3 16.67%
No 15 83.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Mar 2011, 09:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2001 ptcruiser overheating problem with bubbling noise

I have a 2001 pt cruiser limited edition and lately it's been making a bubbling noise whenever I'm at a stoplight or just idle. It was doing this for a few weeks then I noticed the temp Gage was going up a bit.. But never into the hot zone.
Yesterday I thought my car was overheating and smoke was coming out but It was white smoke with a sweet smell so I figured it was steam from the antifreeze and the antifreeze is also what is bubbling. I need help, I know I need to take it to a mechanic but is there any suggestions on what I should do in the meantime?
I also started driving with the heat on and that seemed to help the temp Gage stay in the middle while I'm idle.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 10:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 ptcruiser overheating problem with bubbling noise

Welcome to the Forum. You possibly have either the high or low speed fan motor bad. Both speeds are in the same fan, and the whole fan must be replaced. Good Luck.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 Mar 2011, 10:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

Turning the heater on gives the coolant another few feet of hose and another small-like radiator (heater core) to go through so it tends to lower the water temperature. Most likely, as Hooligan suggested, one or both speeds of the fan isn't working. When yo take it in, have the mechanic hook it up to a scanner that can control the fan and check to see if both speeds turn on.

Other causes of overheating, is a blocked radiator, bad water pump, air in the system, cracked head or head gasket, bad thermostat or radiator cap.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 10:45 am
Dedicated Cruiser

So you've had a problem with it running hotter than normal for a couple weeks and you chose to do nothing and just keep on driving it. It got progressively worse and now it's a big problem and you want to know how much longer you can drive it before you take it to a mechanic. I'm speechless, there are no words.

Take it to a mechanic NOW.

Jerry
Old 22 Mar 2011, 11:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well thank you to the other guys helping me out. It's not Ike I didn't check it out at all, but taking it to a mechanic also means having money.
Some people are broke sometimes, so don't try to make me feel like an idiot , thank you.

I just needed some advice before I take it in this week to know what to ask for
Old 28 Jun 2012, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandyO View Post
Well thank you to the other guys helping me out. It's not Ike I didn't check it out at all, but taking it to a mechanic also means having money.
Some people are broke sometimes, so don't try to make me feel like an idiot , thank you.

I just needed some advice before I take it in this week to know what to ask for
I had the same problem. Replaced the radiator cap and all problems went away.
Old 01 Jan 2013, 08:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Realizing the problem has likely been fixed, just for other readers in the future, don't replace a whole fan assembly before checking the fuses for the high and low fans. Mine was a fuse.
Old 01 Jan 2013, 09:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Did your mention white smoke?
I take it, it is coming from the tailpipe, and smells sweet ?

That is usually a sign of the head gasket, your seeping antifreeze into the combustion chamber and it is being burned (or trying to anyway).

I would suggest taking it in, and get the system pressure checked.

The above mentioned things to check ( fans/fuses/rad caps ), possibly lead to this problem, so getting all of the above things checked is something to consider too.

Your aluminum head does not like heat, and it don't take much of it to warp it.

Don't mean to bum you out, but it sure sounds like your issue
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 01 Jan 2013, 09:39 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm pretty sure from under the hood, Motorhead... Anyway she was asking back in 2011.. I hope the problem got resolved by now.
Old 01 Jan 2013, 11:23 am
Cool Cruiser

WOW nothin like missing another date....Oops
(along with a couple of other people)
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice