PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

2003 PT Cruiser pulls to right side??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Mar 2011, 06:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 PT Cruiser pulls to right side??

Hi everybody, I'm new here as far as posting but have been here to read some of the threads. Looking for some help with this one. usually i can find some of the minor problems but not this one. When the car shifts gears it seems to pull to the right and with the icy canadian winters that is a problem. It may be my imagination that it pulls only when it shifts but it seems to do that just when the torque hits. That is what it feels like anyways..
Old 22 Mar 2011, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 PT Cruiser pulls to right side??

What year, but just a thought, might be a motor mount, not sure.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 06:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi 21walker. Its a 2003. Whats the best way to check mounts. I used to do a lot of work on vehicles back in the 70- 80's but these new ones are tricky.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 06:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Not sure, I am sure someone else will come in with a suggestion. I remember checking motor mount by putting the vehicle nose first against a phone pole with the hood open and have someone step on the gas. If the engine moved, bad motor mount.

Not sure about these and heck, it might not be a motor mount. It was just a guess on my part.

Hang tight, Cruizin, Candyman or some of the other guys/girls will pipe in.....Rick
Old 22 Mar 2011, 07:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help 21walker but go easy on the hydro poles thats who I work for. Noticed that somebody else was giving the same advice in the similar threads in tech area. Good call Thanks I will try checking the mounts.

Last edited by rmontani; 22 Mar 2011 at 07:11 pm.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 07:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All the poles I used were of the wooden kind and you didn't have to push the gas too much to see the motor rise.....Rick
Old 22 Mar 2011, 08:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Have the front end suspension parts checked out.

TORQUE STEER

The steering veers or pulls to one side during hard acceleration. This is a common condition in front-wheel drive cars with unequal length driveshafts, and is caused by unequal toe changes as the suspension is loaded. Compliance allows the wheel with the longer driveshaft to experience less toe-in change than the wheel with the shorter driveshaft. This causes the vehicle to veer towards the side with the longer driveshaft. FWD cars with equal length driveshafts usually do not experience this condition.

Torque steer cannot be eliminated, but certain conditions may make it worse:

Loose or collapsed control arm bushings.

Loose or worn tie rod ends.

Loose or worn inner tie rod sockets.

Loose or broken engine/transaxle mounts.

Vehicle manufacturers have offered various repairs to reduce the severity of torque steer in some FWD cars. The corrective measures include using stiffer control arm bushings, shimming motor mounts, realigning the engine cradle, replacing the motor mounts with stiffer mounts, or increasing cross-camber.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 22 Mar 2011, 09:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The front end was gone over last year, changed most of the bushings and I have checked out everthing else. I will check out the mounts and see what the verdict is wuth them. Thanks for the info on torque steer. Didn't know something like that existed. My problem seems to occur more when the gas is let up during the auto shift and not so prominent with a pedal to the metal kind of drive. Does that still fit the torque steer? Thanks guys.
Hey Crewzin have you ever found a repair manual for 2003 cruisers to download? I noticed that you had one in tech and perf but it looks like it was deleted.

Last edited by rmontani; 22 Mar 2011 at 09:06 pm.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 09:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You first said you had the "pull" when it shifted not when gas was "let up". When shifting power is added by the next gear up and that would be torque steer. Had it bad on an old Nissan 2000 NX. It would almost pull the steering wheel out of my hands during hard shifting.

The repair manual ($90) from dealer was never issued FREE to the public and is under copywrite laws. It was pirated by someone and given to us for a few weeks until we were informed about the law. That's why it was taken down.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 22 Mar 2011, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thats cool crewzin about the manual. When i was writing about my pull to the right problem I was having a hard time trying to describe what happens. Do you know when a car shifts and there is that small lull in the shift that lasts about 1/4 of a second, that seems to be when it happens. I'm not even sure if that sounds right. If i try to get it to do it by revving the engine a little and letting off, it won't do it. I'll check the mounts and recheck all the areas you suggested. Thanks for taking the time to help me.