PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fast idle speed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Mar 2011, 12:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fast idle speed

Car = 2003 Non-turbo, bone stock.

The car idles fast, around 2,000 rpm consistently and not just at start up. One night, the car revved and stayed at 5,000 rpm. I was firmly holding the brake down and peeling out at every stoplight home.

I proceeded to change the IAC valve without any improvement. Any ideas? I have not had an instance of the 5K rpm's since then, but it consistently idles at 2,000rpm right now. Any input would be great!
Old 23 Mar 2011, 12:16 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Fast idle speed

Is your throttle body somewhat stuck open?

Pull off your intake and have a look. Be surprised at how much gunk you'd find.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 12:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'll take the intake off tonight and have a look. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll post later if there are any changes.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 02:15 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAPT View Post
The car idles fast, around 2,000 rpm consistently and not just at start up. One night, the car revved and stayed at 5,000 rpm. I was firmly holding the brake down and peeling out at every stoplight home.
Try pulling up on the gas pedal to see if the RPM goes down.

Had that issue with an old Toyota. The cable was dirty and would bind occasionally.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 05:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Check the two cables that run across the top of the engine. One is the throttle, the other is the cruise control. Check for free movement of the wheels that control those cables. Check for binding of the cables or any place the cables might be rubbing.

Forget the yellow astrict on the photo. I use this photo to point out the IAC which you already changed.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 23 Mar 2011 at 05:30 am.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 12:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Might be the TPS, throttle position sensor. There have been problems with both the sensor and the harness. With the engine running move the harness around to see if the idle drops. Could be a break in a wire in the harness.
Old 06 Sep 2011, 11:54 pm
Young Cruiser

What was your final solution to this issue?
Old 07 Sep 2011, 05:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsnkx View Post
What was your final solution to this issue?
He may get an email saying someone replied to his posting if his account is set up that way but he hasn't been back to the forum since March 23, 2011.

Like so many others that come to the forum, ask a question and we never hear from them again. Hope I'm wrong and he replies again to let us know what the outcome was.
Old 07 Sep 2011, 11:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Could also be the PCV hose to the throttle body (if it's just 2000 rpm after warm up), mines been idling high, I made my own replacement today, but before that...

This happened earlier. Picked one of the kids up at school, on the way home coming up to a red light, I felt the car wanting to "go", the closer I got to the stop line, the harder I had to press the brake, then I noticed I was standing on the brake pedal and it wasn't going to come to a complete stop.

- killed the ignition.

- put it in park, started, revved up to 4500+ and something kicked in to keep it from redlining, but it wouldn't go down, even when I punched the accelerator a few times.

- waited for the light to go green and started and jammed it into drive as fast as I could, burned rubber, headed for the nearest turn off and parked in a parking lot, popped the hood.

- *checked the vacuum hose on the passenger side (it runs behind the coolant overflow res.), made sure it was tight, this happened to me before when I'd knocked this hose off while tinkering under the hood. Started the car ->4500+ rpms still

- popped off the cover and noticed that the PCV hose was mostly hole, ...but I didn't think that was it. It would explain the high idle though, ...but not this craziness.

Wggled anything that looked electrical, -> 4500+ still

- Grabbed the cable linkage cam thing and rocked it back and forth, started the car, back to sanity (sort of, the 1500-2000rpm "warm" idle with the toasted PCV hose), drove home, dropped off the kid and got a piece of hose and an adapter to repair the PCV hose, ...back down to <1000RPM idle.

Picked up the wife from work (I wouldn't let her drive because of the problem), and just before I turned down our street, ...I could feel the car wanting to take off again. Pulled into the driveway, threw it into park -> 4500+ rpm.

So after a while I went out and checked for error codes, nada, I did notice the cruis indicator was on, so a batted at the lever a few times 'til it went out, ...started the car, sanity again.

Either; the TB is gunked up, or one of the cables is getting hung up, or the cruise control is f'd up and has a mind of its own, or a sensor fail, or a TPS fubar?

Last edited by CREWZIN; 08 Sep 2011 at 06:18 am.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 10:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

The vacuum line is probably the culprit. I just found mine to have a 3/4" hole in the top of it and cut it off and placed it back on..wa la no more high idle...hose has to be replaced....after removing the top cover of the throttle body area, the hose can be seen down about 20 deg. from the body itself...
good luck....varooooom!!!!!