PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Motor mounts going bad

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2011, 01:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Cool Motor mounts going bad

What's with the motor mounts on these cars? I went in to have a shaking problem with the car fixed. At idle it doesn't shake til We turn on the AC it shakes. I was told it was our KN open air box, it was shakin... we had this on for 2 years. I said look closer something else is causing the problem. They came back with throttle body being clogged...they sprayed it and engine mounts bad. I need to replace three of them and we had one replaced last year. He said one needs the engine jacked up to get the front one off.

I found our paper work showing it's covered by the extended warranty we got. Otherwise it takes a 5 spot to replace it all. I'll be calling Monday to the guy we always deal with to remedy the problem.

Is there anyone else having to replace motor mounts on their cruiser's?

It's not just a matter of MPG... it's the ride! Still wish it was better!
Old 26 Mar 2011, 03:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Motor mounts going bad

Luck of the draw, I guess. Haven't had to touch mine in 11 years and over 100,000 miles.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 06:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I replace them almost every week at work (chrysler jeep dodge dealer tech). The OEM mounts are built soft to give the cabin the least amount of rattle or discomfort. The trade off is that they go out quite often. Some of the PT Cruiser owners have gone to OEM SRT4 mounts as they are bigger and more solid. I personally have gone with AGP SRT4 solid mounts. They give off much move vibration but I got them for free from a trade in and they will last the life of the car.

The weak motor mounts are not an engineering failure but a cheap way to increase cabin comfort. The expense is that you WILL replace them at least once in the lifetime of your vehicle.
dougs likes this.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsautocare View Post
I replace them almost every week at work (chrysler jeep dodge dealer tech). The OEM mounts are built soft to give the cabin the least amount of rattle or discomfort. The trade off is that they go out quite often. Some of the PT Cruiser owners have gone to OEM SRT4 mounts as they are bigger and more solid. I personally have gone with AGP SRT4 solid mounts. They give off much move vibration but I got them for free from a trade in and they will last the life of the car.

The weak motor mounts are not an engineering failure but a cheap way to increase cabin comfort. The expense is that you WILL replace them at least once in the lifetime of your vehicle.
Is your PT an auto or manual? Just curious, thinking of replacing mine with solids also, I've got the Getrag G288, what I've heard is if you slip into neutral at a light instead of holding on the clutch, you won't feel the vibrations at idle quite as bad. As to the engine shakes during acceleration, who cares...lol..
Old 26 Mar 2011, 08:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have an automatic. I usually put mine in neutral while sitting at a stop light and it does away with most of the trim panel vibration.

It comes down to whether you want to have a comfortable ride with parts that wear out easily? Or a not so comfortable ride in a car that has better acceleration, elimination of wheel hop (if you have that problem lol), and parts that you will not have to replace ever again that cost less than the factory replacement torque struts (motor mounts).
Old 26 Mar 2011, 08:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Better acceleration? You mean all I have to do is change the motor mounts and I can knock of 1/2 second down the quarter mile?

Damn, and here we've been telling people that no matter what they do, the N/A PT is just that ....a CRUISER and not a lot they can do about it and here I find out that all they had to do is change the motor mounts.
dougs likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 09:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

well if you think about it, when accelerating from a stop, the factory mounts flex alot. This is equivalent to a slight lag in throttle response from a drivers perspective. When you have a sold mount, you motor does not move in the engine bay. This makes accelerating from a stop and shifts faster as the engine does not have to rotate in the engine bay before power is sent through the drive train.

As much as I like sarcasm, I dont believe it should be a standard practice on a forum meant to help people. I not only am a dealer tech, I also have access to an abundance of tools and information that are really helpful to these owners. Comments like yours do not make me very motivated to share these tools and info.

Last edited by adamsautocare; 27 Mar 2011 at 09:33 am.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 09:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, let me ask this. Do you think that extra "better acceleration" can actually be measured down the 1/4 mile. We're not talking somebodys worn out motor mounts that let the engine move enough to hit the side of the body but normal motor mounts that are changed to your "harsher ride" mounts.

I'm sure there would be a bigger difference in time slips on the way someone would take off from the stop. Also, from that standpoint, I would venture to guess that 99 out 100 on this forum (not PT Crew) would go for a smoother ride than opt for a gain of .0001 in acceleration.

We value your input and look forward to anything you can add in the way of helping people with their problems but if you take a look at the kind of questions we receive, you can see that some are after unrealistic goals and saying something like "better acceleration" is going to have people changing out their motor mounts when they aren't needed and being disappointed when they aren't pushed back into their seats with the added power and a harsher ride to boot.

Old 27 Mar 2011, 10:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well first of all, no one said anything about added power. transfer of power to the wheels maybe. As for the quarter mile times, that I dont know. In the GTs and SRT4s they help in the quarter mile as they eliminate wheel hop. You dont have that problem and probably have not experienced it first hand in a boosted 2.4. Having these mounts in my SRT4 was the single best thing I did for that car while running it at the track.

This thread was asking if anyone else was having motor mount problems. Of course a 5sec search would tell them that almost all were having this problem. I was simply giving them a solution to breaking motor mounts every 50k or less.

I also dont like that you categorize the majority of the forum as "cruisers". Anyone that drives a GT is not a "cruiser". No one would opt for the extra expense or wear and tear on the engine just to cruise. Most of the PTs on this forum are modified with power adders. Why do this if you dont want it to be any faster that stock???

You seem to jump to conclusions more often then not (based on our conversation). That may be fine to you but some of us dont use that technique as it may offend others or make you look foolish.
dougs likes this.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 10:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't seem to see any of what your talking about here on the forum and to say that most of the PT's on this forum are modified with power adders is a little bit of a jump to conclusions on your part. Last time I looked there were 22,000 signed in members since the forum started. Lots of one time SPAMers but more so one time owners with a question that we never see anymore. 1000 times more N/A owners than Turbo owners and at a guess, only 1/10 of them are modified.

I'm willing to bet your paycheck that there's probably twice the number of stock GT's than there are modified on this forum, but there's no real way to tell. Most of the owners that are interested in the 1/4 mile have moved over to PT Crew where all they talk about is beating the ricer to the next stoplight or each other. That's fine. I'm the same way with my Vette but there's a section devoted to power add-ons on that forum just like the Performance thread in the Turbo section on this forum. Not very well used I might add.