Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Did I do the right thing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2011, 03:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question Did I do the right thing?

I always wanted a PT and finally my wife agreed and we bought our 2001 LE 2L Petrol Auto last week.

Now I read so much in the forum about problems I wonder if we did the right thing. 81k miles on the clock and ten years old it seems the cam belt has not been replaced, cost in local Chrysler garage 480 about $800. My daughters Ford Mondeo cost just over 100. Lots of problems with vibration and knocking suspension, etc.

Also in UK, and I guess in US, cars are put into groups for insurance purposes so for example my wifes car a small Ford Fiesta is group 4,low and relatively cheap, a BMW 3 series is group 16 or 18, and now the PT I find out is group 12! lets face it, it is no BMW so why the heck is it in such a high group.

I do still love the look of it.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 03:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Did I do the right thing?

Sounds like you should have done a bit of searching around before you bought. Your "now I read so much on the forum" but that was after you bought it. How come you didn't read about it sooner?

Your asking about groups that different cars are on but 99% of this forum is in the U.S.A. and our insurance does things different. They probably lump the PT all in one group which means your playing along with the 220hp GT models even though your way below that.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 30 Mar 2011 at 03:43 pm.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 04:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have 2 PT's--one a GT-turbo--other not.Insurance is actually cheap per say on both=even though GT has alot more power==insurance isnt high..maybe your area? your record..change companies>? good luck MJB
Old 30 Mar 2011, 05:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yes

here in the US ,the insurance is cheap because the demographics show older more sophisticated people buy PT's hence no ricers racing and smashing them up left and right and the theft rate is low and in general they are very safe cars so I dont see high premiums.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 30 Mar 2011, 10:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

I currently pay insurance on 4 of the 6 cars below. Daughter handles her own. All cars bought used. PT and VW Full, Liability only on Truck and DelSol .... the PT cost more than the other 3 all together ... way more than the VW did when I bought it adjusted for inflation, and I paid almost 3.5 times more for the VW in actual $$. I did have an accident with the DelSol and that one and the PT I added after were higher, but that is off record now supposedly almost 4.5 years ago. I think it is way high considering the book value on the car, the 01 VW is still worth a few $$ more than the 06 PT.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 31 Mar 2011, 03:45 am
Young Cruiser

I'm also in the UK. I would hazzard a guess that it's a group 12 because of the fact that it has a 2 litre engine. The fiesta a 1.1L maybe? BMW's usually have at least 2L and are always getting stolen so a higher risk and thus a higher group. I don't go on insuance grouping anyway, I just find out how much its going to cost before I buy. I pay about 350 fully comp, protected NCB IIRC, which is cheap IMO.

My other car's a group 20 (the highest), I pay 220 fully comprehensive on that (i am limited to driving it 3,000 miles a year though!!)

If your handy with spanners you can do most of the suspension work yourself, your lower control arm bushes are probably shot, get some polyurathane ones from here http://www.ptcompany.co.uk/catalogue/maintenance4.htm, i did the master bush set myself. Check the wheel balance for vibration (20 at a tyre place). As for the cam belt, if that price is inclusive of parts and vat, then its reasonable. I just paid 955 to have a new cambelt and cylinder head gasket replecaemnet at a local garage who knew about PT's. Up until know the car has costs me nothing in the 6 yrs I've owned it (wear and tear/servicing aside).

Lets be honsest, if your buying a 10 yr old car with 80,000 miles, your going to have to spend something on it, IMO you should have factored in the cam belt into the purchase price.

Last edited by swanjack; 31 Mar 2011 at 03:59 am.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 11:43 am
Cool Cruiser

not just insurance. PT Cruiser demands higher registration fee as well.

I have a 03 PT Cruiser and a 07 HHR. The registration fees I paid are 70 something for HHR and 80 something for PT Cruiser this year. That's not fair.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 02:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanjack View Post
I'm also in the UK. I would hazzard a guess that it's a group 12 because of the fact that it has a 2 litre engine. The fiesta a 1.1L maybe? BMW's usually have at least 2L and are always getting stolen so a higher risk and thus a higher group. I don't go on insuance grouping anyway, I just find out how much its going to cost before I buy. I pay about 350 fully comp, protected NCB IIRC, which is cheap IMO.

My other car's a group 20 (the highest), I pay 220 fully comprehensive on that (i am limited to driving it 3,000 miles a year though!!)

If your handy with spanners you can do most of the suspension work yourself, your lower control arm bushes are probably shot, get some polyurathane ones from here Energy Suspension bush kits for repairing the PT Cruiser suspension, i did the master bush set myself. Check the wheel balance for vibration (20 at a tyre place). As for the cam belt, if that price is inclusive of parts and vat, then its reasonable. I just paid 955 to have a new cambelt and cylinder head gasket replecaemnet at a local garage who knew about PT's. Up until know the car has costs me nothing in the 6 yrs I've owned it (wear and tear/servicing aside).
Thanks Swanjack

Don't get me wrong I love the PT, just thought the price for repairing rather high. I have already bought a complete set of bushes from ptcompany as you describe and will get these done over Easter.

Very interested in who you use for an insurance company, can you PM me a few details, at 58 I would hope for a reasonable price.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 05:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

For an 03 GT loaded I pay 400$ per year, that is 500K$Bodily Injury and property,500K$ for Unisured Motorist, and comprehensive with 250$ Deductable cash value. Registration and Excise for a year is 120$.

It doesnt get much cheaper than that. I pay 380$ for same for my Grand Cherokee and 237 for my Shadow, but I dont carry the comprehensive on it so if I smash it up my loss.

My 06 GT I pay 457$ and 00 Durango 413$

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 31 Mar 2011, 05:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's so many variables with insurance there's no use publishing what any one person is paying. Age, male or female, where you live, use of the car, garaged or not, state you live in, car equipment, turbo - N/A, other vehicles insured with same company; the list goes on and on.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.