PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
squeak coming from eng or belt or pulley?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2011, 02:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default squeak coming from eng or belt or pulley?

Afternoon-

My 03 DC2 has had a squeak coming from eng area... I really thought the idler pulley was the culprit.... So I changed it and.... Not so much, still there! I searched the forums and came up empty... Any ideas would be appreciated! I did read about a TSB on squeaking noise, but unclear on the results...

Thanks for any help!

BTW... I changed the belt as well....
Old 31 Mar 2011, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: squeak coming from eng or belt or pulley?

When you changed the belt, did you happen to turn on the engine to see if you could pinpoint where the noise was coming from?

Which belt did you change? The serpentine belt has a tensioner which should take care of most stretching but the alternator belt has to be tightened manually.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 03:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

I changed the serpentine belt and the idler pulley, really doesnt sound like the alternator belt is where the noise is, of course I could be wrong....? We all make mistakes! I will check that belt as well.... Thanks!
Old 31 Mar 2011, 04:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: squeak coming from eng or belt or pulley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf55555 View Post
I changed the serpentine belt and the idler pulley, really doesnt sound like the alternator belt is where the noise is, of course I could be wrong....? We all make mistakes! I will check that belt as well.... Thanks!
by anychance did you have your timing belt replaced within the last year or so.
i did and i was chasing a squeak for month's replaced all belt's and belt tensioner.i got tired of it took it to my dealership and they saw right away that the harmonic balancer was not seated in all the way they backed off the nut and smack the harmonic balancer with a hammer and torqued the bolt back in place ,,,,NICE AND QUITE now hope this helps.
and do not use belt dressingit will make it worse in about one hour of driving with it on
Old 01 Apr 2011, 03:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just some FYI.... Remember above I said I replaced the pulley and it didn't stop the noise? Well, today I bought the whole tensioner assembly and BAM! Noise is gone! I work for Chrysler transmission plant so with my discount the part was $78 including tax..... WELL WORTH IT to not have that annoying squeak!

BTW.... If I can help with any parts purchases anyone needs please let me know! I get a 25% discount on all parts!

Later!
TJB Indiana
Old 21 Apr 2011, 08:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Like you, I have a 2003 DC2. I have an annoying squeak like you. I bought the car about a month ago and the used car dealership has been paying for all of the repairs. It is getting worked on for the 8th time today. They are going to put a new alternator in.

All of the belts have been replaced.
All of the pulleys have been replaced.
The tensioner has been replaced.
The harmonic balancer has been replaced.

Every time it is worked on the squeak goes away at idle only. After I drive it for awhile the squeak comes back. It usually comes back above 2,500 RPMs.

So, I took it to a garage I trust. They said everything under there was dirty probably due to a missing inner fender. I ordered an inner fender from Chrysler. It won't be here for two weeks. The garage I trust cleaned everything up and had to buff/sand out a groove/chip in a pulley. That quieted the squeak down for about 20 miles of drive time and then the squeak came back.

So, I took it to Chrysler. Chrysler replaced the tensioner and the squeak went away at idle like all of the other times before. Now the squeak is back and the used car dealership I got the car from is putting in a new alternator. Chrysler said that would be the next step they would do, but I'm paying out of my own pocket at Chrysler so I took it back to the used car dealership.

I hope the new alternator fixes the problem. I'm not a mechanic and not sure why it keeps coming back. Could the missing inner fender be the problem? I'm sure the belts/pulleys are getting debris thrown on them.

I'll let you guys know if the alternator fixes the problem or if the new inner fender fixes it. Please give me any suggestions you may have in the mean time. Thanks in advance.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 08:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Wo, lots of work for a squeak at speed. Usually not a belt or pulley when you get a squeak at speed. I would watch your water pump, if the alternator doesn't resolve the issue. Also you didn't mention, did you have your AC on, or your defrost? Could be the pulley on your AC too.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 08:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

The squeak is more of a chirp(sounds like metal on metal). It does it at idle too. The AC doesn't affect the chirp. It chirps with it on or off. Everytime someone works on it, it goes away temporarily. It seems like it comes back when I drive it for 15 - 30 miles or sometimes comes back when revving above 2,500 RPMs.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 09:24 am
Regular Cruiser

You did replace the who tensioner assembly and not just the pulley correct?

SOLD-----K&N FIPK CAI, MSD wires, NGK plugs
03 Dream Cruiser series 2 #1489,5sp
k&N FIPK CAI, MSD 8MM wires, NGK iridium plugs, oil catch can, AGP wastegate, Mopar BOV,Mopar Boost Gauge,Stage 1 injectors,DSP Sport tuner,VSR Anima 18" wheels, Kelly 225-40-18 tires, 3" cat delete downpipe, APS SS dual exhaust.

Now owner of a black CSRT stage 1.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 09:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

The used car dealers mechanic replaced only the pulley. Found that out when I took it to Chrysler. Chrysler replaced the whole tensioner assembly.