PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
200,000 Miles and now she wants to smoke?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2011, 04:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default 200,000 Miles and now she wants to smoke?

Ok so my 2001 Limited Edition PT Cruiser just hit 200,000 and it started to smoke. What happened is that as I was going to work the car was sputtering, like it had some bad gas. I would give her a little gas and she would clear her throat and we be going for another 10-15 min before I had to do it again. This was all highway, but when I got off the interstate and hit my first light, on take off it was a huge puff of smoke and away I went. After about 2 lights people started to stay way back and I mean way back from my car. Got to work and checked the oil and I was 2 quarts low, I had just checked it Monday and it was fine then. I topped off the oil and went home that afternoon, with no stutering, no puff of smoke either. The mechanic said the oil level was fine, it smoked a little and basically that it is a worn out motor with a lot of miles. So it is now driving purfectly again. Anyone else have this kind of weirdness???
Old 31 Mar 2011, 10:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 200,000 Miles and now she wants to smoke?

If I were you and that was my rig I would find an E85 gas station and fill up with 1/2 tank of your normal gasoline and the other half I would fill it with e85 the reason for this is E85 is Alcohol and alcohol by its very nature is a solvent and a solvent by its nature is a degreaser/cleaner...So the long and the short of what im telling you is to run your rig with a 50/50 mix of E85 and Gasocrap and you will be shocked at well your rig will respond to the mix. Dont gotta do this every tank either just once in a while but you will instantly notice the difference the first time you do it. The reason im saying do 50/50 is we dont want to get crazy and go full tank E85 as that could turn on your check engine light (which would go out as soon as you refilled with normal gas) but to just avoid that happening in the first place just do 50/50.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 10:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

the mechanic was like 200000 miles for that engine you got alot out of it, we dont see that many miles on these cars. Should I look for a new ride, I love my cruiser but need a dependable vehicle, I travel 150 miles a day.
Old 01 Apr 2011, 11:33 am
Regular Cruiser

It sounds like a fuel problem, maybe a sticky injector. If it is black smoke, that would be my guess. The fact that it went away is good news. A can of injector cleaner may help.
But all things considered, 200,000 miles means you got your moneys worth.
Old 01 Apr 2011, 01:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have always thought that a lot of smoke was a bad oil pump.
Old 01 Apr 2011, 01:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

It was a bunch of blue smoke on take off from a stop light, I did not see any smoke just sitting at the light or when the car was idling in the parking lot. When I add the 2 new quarts it puffed smoke on startup and then nothing all the way home or when I got it to the mechanic.

2 questions

1 - The mechanic and from what i read, that the oil could have broken down, thinned out and leaked causing it to be burned. I read that the high mileage oil and or a can of engine restore would help.

2- spark plugs, thinking that it has been awhile and they most likely need changing, I was thinking of using the Bosch plat plugs, do suggest anything better?
Old 01 Apr 2011, 07:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

run a can of B12 Chemtool in it... if its a full tank you can run 2 cans... simply pour it in the gas. this stuff works wonders and it can be found at most auto parts stores or even (gulp) Wal-Mart. I personally would at that before running E85... as correct as the other poster is regarding E85- the manufacturing standards are not as defined for E85 so it is much easier to get some crappy gas with E85 then with normal gas... also E85 does not last as long as normal gas... the shelf life is not there so stations that do not move it quickly have it separating in the storage tanks... If you want to check it out for yourself put some E85 in a glass jar and let it sit... after some time it will separate completely.
Old 02 Apr 2011, 11:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknoron67 View Post
It was a bunch of blue smoke on take off from a stop light, I did not see any smoke just sitting at the light or when the car was idling in the parking lot. When I add the 2 new quarts it puffed smoke on startup and then nothing all the way home or when I got it to the mechanic.

2 questions

1 - The mechanic and from what i read, that the oil could have broken down, thinned out and leaked causing it to be burned. I read that the high mileage oil and or a can of engine restore would help.

2- spark plugs, thinking that it has been awhile and they most likely need changing, I was thinking of using the Bosch plat plugs, do suggest anything better?
If your 200K miles are highway miles, the engine could be fine, just middle aged. An oil change is probably due, and I would add a small can of CD2 additive to this change, and change again in 1,000 miles. A fuel system problem could also cause the smoke, and the E85 idea might take care of it. Dump in three bottles of Chevron Techron additive while you are at it. AmsOil's Performance Improver (PI) is an excellent fuel system cleaner you add to your gasoline, but very hard to find. I give it a 100% recommendation, but I don't sell the stuff. I can't even find it myself. It is the best I have ever used.

If you have not changed spark plugs and wires in a long time, they are way over due. I recommend against Bosch Platinum. They are fine spark plugs, to be sure, and I used to use them in everything. But the tiny center electrode tends to burn back into the recess of the porcelain in the odd alternating current (or whatever it is called) waste spark system that our PTs use for ignition. Instead I suggest regular plugs or Iridium plugs. I use Autolite Iridium and really recommend them, with MSD wires. Be sure to clean the coil electrodes with crocus cloth if they are at all discoloured or green, and use dielectric grease on the wires' boots.

Most "engine restore" is just thick oil. You can do the same thing by going to 40 weight oil. Don't bother. You may have one or two stuck oil control piston rings. If that's the case, the CD2 additive, which is Concentrated Detergent, should unstick them over 1,000 miles. Owners of Saturn S series have had these problems, and their funky-but-good engines will go 300K plus miles. What they will do is pull the spark plugs and pour in Sea Foam into the cylinders overnight. In the morning, spark plugs still out, they will suck out as much Sea Foam as they can, then crank the engine to get the rest out. (Careful, this part is messy.) Then they put the spark plugs back in and restart the car, in a cloud of blue smoke. That will unstick rings if they can be unstuck.

I would try all of these cowboy mechanic tricks before I spent big bucks on a new engine or a new car.

Last edited by Matt42; 02 Apr 2011 at 11:15 am.
Old 02 Apr 2011, 12:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

At 200k you don't have long with that motor unless you rebuild it in the near future. I'd be very happy to get that many miles. You're also looking at a new timing belt and water pump in that rebuild, too. Fix this car or get another. Time to spend some money.
Old 02 Apr 2011, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the PCV valve stick on mine once....built up enough crankcase pressure to force enough oil past the rings and it smoked...changed the PCV valve and plugs and fixed the problem...My PT has 221,000 on it and drives 110 miles a day, 5 to 6 days a week...regular oil changes and preventitive maintenance I hope to hit 300k before I take her out of service..