Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brake noise... ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2011, 07:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Brake noise... ??

Couple of weeks ago we picked up a 2007 PT Touring Model with 21,000 miles on it... it was a Chrysler Certified Pre Owned so it came with a very nice warranty.
Prior to qualifying for certification they mounted 4 new tires and installed new brakes all around and new rotors up front... I looked at the brakes and they are indeed brand new..

12 days into ownership and the brakes start squealing like mad when applied... 13 days in the brakes start making noise simply when the car rolls- no brake applied. back to the dealer it goes since its under warranty...

After 4 hours the give us the car back and say that they checked everything out and replaced the hardware kits on the brakes... THEN- the service manager informs me that the brake noise I am hearing is normal for PT Cruisers and Neons... That I will just have to live with it... WTF? I have NEVER had a car squeal the brakes like this... of course I usually do my own brake jobs.. but hey- certified car with warranty so why should I have to on this one...

Anyway- the Service manager also informs me that He owns a neon and his does the same thing.... He then informs me that "all you have to do when it starts doing that is pull the emergency brake a few times while at a light and it will stop" WTF? I am supposed to pull the Emergency Brake every time I drive it to stop the brake squeal???? No way! Doesnt anyone else have this trouble??? My Cousin's family owns 2 neons and 2 PT cruisers - some with well over 100,000 miles and he has no brake squeal....

anyone else have this issue? I can take the car to another dealer and it will be covered but a 100.00 deductible will apply at a dealership I did not purchase the car from... Love the car but this is crap.
Old 01 Apr 2011, 07:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: Brake noise... ??

Love the user name, I'm a huge Elvis fan. lol but anyways, welcome to the site, I'm Danny, my PT is Eve and we say hello from San Antonio.
We also say that the dude at the stealership is full of sh*t.
When the noise starts does it still feel like the brakes are applied, after you take your foot off the brake i mean. I'm thinking one of your calipers could be sticking or, even tho they're new, one of the pads could've fallen off and all there is, is just the metal piece that goes on the back of the pad. but i don't know. can you tell where the noise is coming from, like which tire?
Old 01 Apr 2011, 07:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I like Elvis too but the name is a Richard Petty thing... Big Richard Petty fan but I am not a fan of todays Nascar... go figure..lol

I am deaf in one ear so its hard for me to tell... Sounds like the rear are the culprit. I tried the Service managers lame ass technique and it didnt do a thing for it... my other half wants to return the car now... she adores it but the noise is just crazy. Amazingly this car is spotless inside, outside , under hood and underneath... I actually think it is cleaner than new. I pulled the wheels and looked the brakes over and everything looks to be in order. I did not disassemble them as I feel it is the dealer's job to correct this... we purchased the car at a nice price but I know I paid a small premium in order to get a Certified Chrysler pre-owned... seems the dealer is going to have this one coming back alot until the correct this... Just cant imagine this is common. I am in Ohio and we have a rough climate on cars here but this thing is totally spotless and has not seen bad weather under our ownership.
Old 01 Apr 2011, 08:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Brake noise... ??

there have been other cruisers out there with the same problem and found a fix. try the search up top of this page,there you should find an answer.my personal opinion, your stealership is full of himself this is not normal for pt cruisers to make this noise
Old 01 Apr 2011, 08:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX

Have this problem with my car but only when the roads are wet.
Old 01 Apr 2011, 08:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

That's good. I'm glad ya'll like it. one thing to check is if they put any anit squeal brake lube, grease, or paste. If you haven't washed it yet, or had any rain, since the brakes were just done, you should be able to feel the lube. you may have to take the tire off but with the spokes on the touring wheels, it should allow you to feel the back of the pads

if not then they need to do it, and maybe have them check to see if they put the anti-rattle springs back on
Old 01 Apr 2011, 08:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Brake noise... ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanG View Post
That's good. I'm glad ya'll like it. one thing to check is if they put any anit squeal brake lube, grease, or paste. If you haven't washed it yet, or had any rain, since the brakes were just done, you should be able to feel the lube. you may have to take the tire off but with the spokes on the touring wheels, it should allow you to feel the back of the pads

if not then they need to do it, and maybe have them check to see if they put the anti-rattle springs back on
WolfmanG what is :anit:,are you texting from your phone again.lol
Old 01 Apr 2011, 08:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mityqwik View Post
WolfmanG what is :anit:,are you texting from your phone again.lol
anit, you know, anit. lol no i'm at work trying listen to customers and type this out at the same time. lol
Old 01 Apr 2011, 08:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

What hind of brakes, front disc rear drum or 4 wheel disc??

Maybe they needed the shims or red glue on the back face of the pads.

if 4 wheel disc, the e-brake shoes could be draging, they are notorious for the backing plate rusting and the linings delaminating and then they drag in the hat of the rotor. see pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rearshoescom.JPG (30.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg newlinings.jpg (95.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg alldone.JPG (22.5 KB, 26 views)

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2

Last edited by VNT; 01 Apr 2011 at 08:29 pm.
Old 02 Apr 2011, 03:19 am
Regular Cruiser

I agree with VNT... the e-brake was the cause of noise on my 05 vert!!!