Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Moon Roof install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2011, 05:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Moon Roof install

I just purchased a second 2001 Cruiser, I was going to "hold out" for one with a moonroof, but I found one that was such a "cream puff" that I bought it without the option that I was looking for. So , now I am thinking of putting in a factory moonroof from a boneyard, they will let me take it out myself so I don't hurt the headliner, or gasket, and I can take the wiring harnesses as I choose. I looked into this in my factory manual, and it shows that there is a "water management system" built into the roof module. there are 4 water extraction tubes that connect to tubes in the front "A" pillars, and in the rear "C" pillars.the fronts drain into the panel in front of the windshield, and not sure where the rears go. here is one question, Do all PT bodies already have these tubes in the pillars from the factory ??? ,pending install of the roof module somewhere on the assembly line??, also is the wiring harness already in place front and center under headliner like the extra plug ins under the dash for various options that your vehicle may or maynot have??.I know this is a major job as I will have to cut out the entire roof around the moonroof as it has a "step" bent into the metal roof panel and I will have to weld in the doner section from the boneyard car,unless I surround it with some kind of trim ring and apply the roof section with the new "mastic" that body shops are now using to "glue on " fenders and other panels, does anyone have experience with kind of foolish indulgent install, (body shop guys ?)
Old 04 Apr 2011, 05:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Moon Roof install

Just had wifes headliner out this weekend (no sunroof and 2006 model) and dont remember seeing any tubes. I have installed many aftermarket sunroofs in all types of cars and didnt use any drains in them. I guess most factory sunroofs do have drains incase they leak later.

I cant forget when i had a new Dodge daytona and was standing in the door frame with a jigsaw cutting into the roof People were in shock watching me butcher a car like that...until they saw the end result. Then wanted me to put on into their car or truck.

If you do decide to tackel it, pull it out in the front yard where everyone can see you and start cutting. Its the funniest thing you will ever see.
Old 04 Apr 2011, 06:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

xwing777,can you list a source for the aftermarket roof you used, the ones that I have seen do not slide between the roof panel and headliner, but go abovr the metal roof pan. thanks.
Old 04 Apr 2011, 07:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

These are the type i have installed before: DONMAR Online! Home Page I dont remember the exact brand though. I bought some out of junkyards cheap and others i bought through a shop that fixed up wrecked cars.

This was a few years back and don't know if he still messes with repairing wrecks. I will see if i can track down a supplier and phone number for you though.