Radiator Cap Leak

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PettyMower
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2011, 01:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator Cap Leak

My radiator cap seems to be leaking. How long does on usually last on a PT? Should I get one at the dealer, or an aftermarket?

michael kostner
Old 05 Apr 2011, 01:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator Cap Leak

Welcome aboard, got a photo of the leaky cap? Lots of useless white space there in your post. As to the cap, after-market works just as good. Sometimes better, if you get a really good one.

The guys at Car Parts Wholesale have some good ones. Just don't get the cheapest, you'll just be replacing it again in a couple of years.

And since it's got a loaded spring in it, it's not something you can put a stop watch on to time how long it'll live. It's not like a tranny, so I wouldn't worry about it leaking, unless you find the rim is bent where you put the cap on your radiator, then that's an entirely different ball game.
Old 05 Apr 2011, 04:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

I always use OEM or Stant for Gas Caps and Rad Caps and have never had a problem on many models and many years of cars.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 05 Apr 2011, 11:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your help. It's a slow leak, so I'll have to pressure test it, but I believe it's the cap.
Old 05 Apr 2011, 11:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Could also be at the base of the thremostat housing .... had this problem on the kids 01. If it is there replace the thermostat ... it has the gasket that seals this to the block.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 06 Apr 2011, 02:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Mike, just get one from the dealer. They cost a little bit more, but when I went in to replace the cap on my 2003 PT, they gave a good one that was the proper poundage, etc.

Also, as Silver said, make sure the leak isn't coming from the theromstat housing cover. Both my rad. cap--and thermostat housing cover (in otherwords my thermostat seal) were leaking.

If your thermostat seal is leaking, get the new thermostat from the dealer, also, because the thermostat has to be placed a particular way into the thermostat housing cover; and the dealer's OEM thermostat has a little "nub" in the hard rubber seal that fits into a recess in the thermostat housing cover, to make certain that you have the thermostat turned in the proper direction.

Tim
Old 07 Oct 2017, 08:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

A while back we had the problem of a leaking radiator cap on our 2001 PT Cruiser. After warming up, it would ever so slightly trickle down the thermostat housing.

Thinking it was a leak at the radiator cap gasket, I replaced the cap with a NEW Stant 16 lb. And the problem went away......or so I thought.

The trickle began again this past week.

And I found the problem to be the overflow hose had become plugged with a brown crud! The hose and overflow container have been flushed, and the problem appears to be fixed.
rckstein likes this.
Old 07 Oct 2017, 08:47 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyMower View Post
A while back we had the problem of a leaking radiator cap on our 2001 PT Cruiser. After warming up, it would ever so slightly trickle down the thermostat housing.

Thinking it was a leak at the radiator cap gasket, I replaced the cap with a NEW Stant 16 lb. And the problem went away......or so I thought.

The trickle began again this past week.

And I found the problem to be the overflow hose had become plugged with a brown crud! The hose and overflow container have been flushed, and the problem appears to be fixed.
Welcome to the forum

You should go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and create an intro thread
NitroPT likes this.
Old 08 Oct 2017, 10:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^DITTO^^

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN