PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front control arm bushings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2011, 10:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Front control arm bushings?

Hi,

I'm needing to replace my front control arm bushings (having someone do this for me), and I'm trying to order the parts online to pick them up at the store today- but the website says "front lower" and "rear lower", etc. What type/ how many bushings do I need to order to replace the front bushings? I'm kind of a car N00b (chemistry and math I got, cars, nah...), so I'm not sure what to order. Can anyone help?
Old 06 Apr 2011, 10:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Front control arm bushings?

Also, if someone could send me a link to the instructions on how to do this...
Old 06 Apr 2011, 11:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

Go to rockauto.com and order Moog, the more expensive ones if there's a choice.
The 'front' LCA's are likely good, it's the rear that goes bad.
Get front's though, just in case; cheap enough to have as contingency.

There's a how-to section here, if not linked here's a how-to:

Minnesota's Community of Neons! • View topic - Lower COntrol Arm Bushing How-To PT Cruiser (Neon the same)
Old 06 Apr 2011, 12:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Eh, I'm just going to buy some cheap Duralast ones from Autozone. $20 for both the front and lower, each side. Yeah, I know, shouldn't buy cheap, but the reason I'm doing that is I'm selling the car before June (have an internship and honestly, I've had cars that have had more miles and less problems with the suspension, etc., and I'm getting sick of putting effort into this one, although overall, the car's been okay), and the ride quality is TERRIBLE, and nobody's going to want to buy it like this... so, these cheaper bushings should last me for a minute...
Old 06 Apr 2011, 04:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

So your planning on having someone replace them for you? Just curious how much???

Reason I ask is, if you have any kind of mechanical ability just buy the whole control arm.... You can get them for about $75 ea side and they come with ball joints as well on ebay.

Remove the the wheel, balljoint, vertical bolt on the CA, horizontal bolt on CA, 2 bolts that attach the arm to the knuckle, pull the arm out and repeat back all steps... BAM!

Now the pass side is a little tricky because of the lower torque strut.... remove the horizontal bolt and pry the mount up and out of the way.... repeat all steps for drivers side....

I have a sevice manual that I can send via email if you want to give it here or pm me...

Seriously... It's not that hard. Did both sides with a buddy in about 2 hours and never touched one before!!!

TJB
Indiana!

SOLD-----K&N FIPK CAI, MSD wires, NGK plugs
03 Dream Cruiser series 2 #1489,5sp
k&N FIPK CAI, MSD 8MM wires, NGK iridium plugs, oil catch can, AGP wastegate, Mopar BOV,Mopar Boost Gauge,Stage 1 injectors,DSP Sport tuner,VSR Anima 18" wheels, Kelly 225-40-18 tires, 3" cat delete downpipe, APS SS dual exhaust.

Now owner of a black CSRT stage 1.
Old 06 Apr 2011, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

LOL Golf, I'm probably going to have someone else do it... what part of Indiana are you in

I wish I could actually get someone to tell me *exactly* why my suspension is being this bad in the front... I keep on replacing parts and getting no improvement, and it boggles my mind that someone that gets paid to do this can't take a look under the car/ at the components (i.e., taking the wheel and other parts off, etc.), and tell me *what* needs to be done. Ugh.
Old 06 Apr 2011, 05:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

I live in Russiaville Indiana... 50 miles north of Indy, 8 miles west of Kokomo

k&N FIPK CAI, MSD 8MM wires, NGK iridium plugs, oil catch can, AGP wastegate, Mopar BOV,Mopar Boost Gauge,Stage 1 injectors,DSP Sport tuner,VSR Anima 18" wheels, Kelly 225-40-18 tires, 3" cat delete downpipe, APS SS dual exhaust.

Old 06 Apr 2011, 05:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Trust me... We all feel your pain! I've replaced about everything on the 01 I had... Are you in Indiana? Would be glad to help over the phone! What problems are you having? Noise? Steering? Pops? Cracks? Squeaks? Yes? Lol...

Old 08 Apr 2011, 06:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Check this out for bushings...

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=16980472673

Old 08 Apr 2011, 09:48 am
Cool Cruiser

I bought my bushings and upper and lower ball joints for my F150 from these guys on eBay .... good stuff, took a little bit for the ball joints to loosen up and steering wheel to return to straight forward on its own after a turn ... but 3+ years after install, still going good. I only put between 3000 and 6000 a year on that vehicle. I also purchased the steering tie rods, drag link etc for the truck from them, they have been collecting dust awaiting my time to install.

I will say, order the arms with the bushings installed, it saves soo much time and makes the change one you can do in your yard. I found that option after I had already bought the urethane bushing for my VW ... I bought some used arms and just removing and installing the bushings took over 3 hours with a full press and all the bushing removal tools. Too bad I did not find Black Forest Industries a few weeks earlier as they sell them new with the urethane bushings for the MKIV VW for a great price. The balljoints on the VW just bolt in so those are at least easier.

I will be buying some of these .... I get the shudder when I mash the brakes, I am sure the brakes are most of it .... hopefully I can get those done this weekend.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1