PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hi There, Im New (Of Course)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2011, 10:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default Hi There, Im New (Of Course)

Hi Everyone. My Name Is Dill and Im a new owner of a 2002 pt cruiser touring edition. its got 92000 miles on it, 5 speed manual and is fully stock (for now).

I had no intention of getting a new car at this time but it so happened while I was browsing cars the owner of the carlot accidently hit my cars front end! So in the end I got a great deal on the cruiser in exchange for not suing his insurance company!

To start off with I will meantion I know little, but am interested in, learning as much as I can about my car. I come from a big family of car buffs but I never really lived around them (My dad whom ive only met a few times actually does lots of illegal engine mods, but is never caught because he typically does the mods for a discount for the local police haha)

I am quite happy with my skills involving wiring and I am excited to use them to eventually help my PT evolve into something more unique.

From the look of the car history it was owned by an elderly couple (who thank god didnt smell bad) and they kept it in their garage. So the car seriously is in pristine condition except for a hardly noticable long scratch on the drivers side rear panel where it looks like some over zealous kid did some minor keying. Also the rear reverse tail light was a little broken but a quick trip to the salvage yard netted me a new one for 10 bucks.

First thing I did after purchase was took it to the dealership to get it checked for recalls. The dealership told me that all recalls were taken care of and that the car was also taken there during its years away from me. So they have the full records of repair.

So far the only issues I have with the car is a slight lugging when im in 3rd gear going about 40 mph at 3000rpms but is quickly solved by shifting to 4th. Also when looking under the hood while the car is running I can see a belt on the passengers side of the engine that looks like its really wearing out. And finally After a long drive in the car I can hear a boiling like sound coming from right around the cap thing that says warning under pressure and extremely hot or something like that. Ive reasearched all these things and thus I have a appointment tomorrow morning to take it first thing to a mechanic to get it completely looked over and make sure its good to last me. I will probably at this time get the serpentine belt, timing belt and water pump replaced. A freind of mine also meantioned to ask them to check some kind of gasket for seepage or whatever.

So im so glad to join these forums as there is alot of great information on here. As meantioned the car is currently fully stock so I will be using lots of info to make it more unique. Im currently in the market for things to make it unique so if anyone has any suggestions on the best places to look for great items please let me know. Also feel free to forewarn me about any common issues that I should know about and the warning signs of them.

Heres to a long happy life with my new PT cruiser. Ill post some pics soon and ill let everyone know how the trip to the mechanic went!

Last edited by Dill; 06 Apr 2011 at 10:36 pm.
Old 06 Apr 2011, 10:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Hi There, Im New (Of Course)

Welcome Dill - you'll find lots of info and ideas here...
Old 06 Apr 2011, 11:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hi there Dill, I'm Karen from SoCal.

Karen and Lil' Nilla
Old 06 Apr 2011, 11:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum!
Old 07 Apr 2011, 12:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Dill, sounds like you're on the right track with timing belt, serpentine, and water pump replacement. At 92,000, it's time.

Also, make sure they change your engine coolant with HOAT 5-year antifreeze; and have the brakes checked, and oil changed--in your engine--and your transmission.

At 92,000 miles, however, it appears the "elderly couple" did not just leave the PT mouldering in the garage. They did some Cruisin'.

You might also figure on new plugs and plug wires. And, for sure, check the battery and the battery terminal connections for corrosion.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 07 Apr 2011, 03:31 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Welcome from South Carolina.
Old 07 Apr 2011, 08:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Dill, Welcome to the Forum. You didn't mention the timing belt, do that with the WP change.
Maggie @ raceandstreet.com is where many go for parts.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 07 Apr 2011, 11:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Dill, sounds like you're on the right track with timing belt, serpentine, and water pump replacement. At 92,000, it's time.

Also, make sure they change your engine coolant with HOAT 5-year antifreeze; and have the brakes checked, and oil changed--in your engine--and your transmission.

At 92,000 miles, however, it appears the "elderly couple" did not just leave the PT mouldering in the garage. They did some Cruisin'.

You might also figure on new plugs and plug wires. And, for sure, check the battery and the battery terminal connections for corrosion.

Good luck,

Tim
All good advice.
Welcome to the forums.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Apr 2011, 11:27 am
Regular Cruiser

Hello Dill, welcome to the forum

Exco

Bill
Old 07 Apr 2011, 11:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX

Welcome from North Carolina