Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
how to replace a brake disc rotor - The thing i did

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Apr 2011, 12:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default how to replace a brake disc rotor - The thing i did

Howdy Cruisers! I was searching on ebay for disk rotors about a week ago, looking at parts for my PT 06, Luckily, I won the auction and paid about $110 less than the RRP of a new set.Im planning to restore the car this coming may, and I knew the brakes were pretty worn so decided to do it now so it's out of the way and won't need to be looked at in two months. I bought new pads also as they are inexpensive ($55) and need to be done soon anyway.

Here's what i did.

First loosen the front wheel nuts, jack up the front of the car and put it on stands.

Remove the dust cap from the centre, then pull out the split pin with some needlenose pliers. Pull off the castleated cover on the nut and then take that off also. You should then be able to remove the hub and rotor as one piece.

Then put the hub on the new rotor by knocking in the studs from the back (not pictured). It takes a lot of big hits with a sledgehammer to put them in, so don't stop until the hub has no movement in relation to the rotor. Now it's time to put it all back on!

cartech,

Last edited by cartech468; 08 Sep 2011 at 09:35 pm.
Old 08 Apr 2011, 10:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: how to replace a brake disc rotor - The thing i did

Where did you get the Rear Wheel Drive PT Cruiser without a McPherson front suspension but a torsion bar suspension like the old school mopars.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 08 Apr 2011, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I was thinking something was wrong trying to compare the pictures with what I've seen on mine. Plus, I was wondering how the undercarriage could get so bad in a 2006 PT. That thing must have been left outside in some really dirty/salty horrible weather and never seen a wash or and kind of maintenance till now.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Apr 2011, 10:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
That thing must have been left outside in some really dirty/salty horrible weather and never seen a wash or and kind of maintenance till now.

I gotta do the brakes on my 06 .... did the fronts on the 01 2 years ago ... was hoping they did not go back in time for the new PT's.

That's not that dirty ... You should have seen my F150 which came from the Red Dirt Hills of northern Mississippi. My ball joints had much longer stalagtites on them ... a redish greased color too.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1