Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating...Please HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2011, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating...Please HELP

I just bought a 2001 PT Cruiser a few months back. I have recently stumbled into overheating territory. The vehicle overheats when I'm on the highway or when I do stop and go driving. I notice a sweet smell inside the vehicle and my coolant has been dissapearing from the reservoir tank too. I have read a lot of the threads here on overheating but nothing is quite like my vehicle.

The car overheats when the AC is on, when I drive hard, pass a car on the highway, drive up hill and do stop and go driving. I've replaced the thermostat today and it's still doing it. The high speed fan is kicking in. I have to crank the heat up to just cool it down, but I need a fix here. Right now, the only thing I can really think of are: Water pump and Radiator. I just don't want to dump money on this and hope it fixes it. Also the vehicle maintance history is probably pretty crappy from what I can see.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09 Apr 2011, 02:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating...Please HELP

Have you read the forums where people say hello and introduce themselves before just asking a question and leaving. This is a forum where people get together and talk and sometimes help each other and newcomers with their problems.

Your going to have to spend some money to diagnose your problem. Try one thing at a time and I suggest flushing the radiator. If maintenance was that mad, the wrong coolant was probably used and the radiator is blocked. But if your loosing fluid and you don't see it on the ground, you might have a cracked head gasket or cracked block itself. The coolant would enter the combustion chamber and be burned off.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 12:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating...Please HELP

Hello Crewzin,

I always read the forum so decided to join as there are many people here who always offer help and advise which is a wonderful thing.

Well I have a 2001 PT Cruiser in very good condition in and out, it has been overheating when driving during very HOT days here in Chicago, but on cool days it seems fine.

I changed the Radiator cap and thermostat and still the same results, also ran the air conditioner to check on the fans and seem fine, I checked the relays and they also look good, is there anything else I need to check ?

Crusin Rican