Car has 50000 miles, and is a 2004 GT turbo
Was quoted over $2000 to fix the problem, which was diagnosed as sticking valve
Walls of #4 cyl are clean
Misfiring has almost gone away with new plugs and wires

Any suggestions
Old 09 Apr 2011, 03:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Compression problem

If you don't want to pay the money to pull it all apart, there is some "stuff" on the market (forget the name) that's supposed to help with sticking vales. Check your local auto store. Might not work, but can't hurt.

Also, if you do a Google search for "help with sticky valves" there's lots to read and maybe some help for you.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Apr 2011, 04:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks
I'll check it out
Old 09 Apr 2011, 04:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Fill up with the highest octane gas you can find. 93 is good, if you have 100 or 101 race fuel around you (me I have it at almost every gas station), then mix about 5 gallons of that in with 93. Get you a can of Seafoam, and dump that into your gas tank, save 1/4 of it for your oil. Dump that last 1/4th into your oil. Now go drive for an hour, find some hills to pull up, get on some steep inclines, you need to stress that engine big time! Me, I hit the highway and take it to about 105, then slow down to 85, then go up I-40 towards Asheville and jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway, then run like I stole it.

Not only cleans out everything, but the amount of effort in pulling up those hills, and that fast run, with the Seafoam in it, tend to snap free a stuck valve. Now be careful, it's usually carbon coated from crappy gas, f/a mixture, spark/timing advance, or any number of things. If that spring snaps, you're in trouble and will end up with the top of that valve slinging around on top of your piston head, and then you're talking a rebuild.

Me, I've had stuck valves now on three vehicles, the last being my wife's 2008 Town and Country just two months ago - she's got the 250hp 4 ltr V6 in it, started running funny and smoked a lot, especially when cold. I took it out on the highway after adding in Seafoam, ran it up to about 80 when I hear this kind of snap sound, all of a sudden the engine seemed to come alive! I pulled off at the next exit, opened the hood to make sure nothing was visibly wrong, found nothing. No smoke out of the rear end. Went to turn the corner and spun the tires! Gave me a heck of a laugh!
Old 17 Apr 2011, 11:08 am
Young Cruiser

Decided to remove the head and replace the sticking valve
It will cost $1500, but the car is a loaded GT and has only 50000 miles
I'll probably keep the car forever

Thanks for the suggestions