Advertisements
PT Overheating

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mabel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2011, 05:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Overheating

I've seen that the radiator fan is the weak link.
I was a stoplight yeterday and the hot water light came on.
I've got a 2004 PT, non - turbo.
Added coolant and oil - also new fuse - Seems to be going OK now.
How much of a hassle is it to get to and replace the radiator motor, if that is necessary?
Old 09 Apr 2011, 07:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Overheating

If you can find just the motor, you still have to take out the entire fan and housing to install the motor. Most people replace the fan and housing from eBay.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 12:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Today we replaced the fan motor and housing in my'01 Cruiser. Before we installed the new motor, we tested and it worked fine. After install we ran the car for about 20 minutes in the driveway. Temp gauge stopped at 1/2. We then drove it about a mile. When we got back the fan was not working again and the radiator fluid was boiling. We tested the fan again and it won't come on. Any suggestions?
Old 13 Aug 2011, 06:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Mabel,

You've already tested the fan so you know all about it. The connection that's about 10 inches from the fan motor can be used to see if the fan is still good. Run a hot and ground wire to that 3 pin connection. Ground the middle pin and touch the hot wire to either one of the outside pins to see if the fan is working.

If the fan comes on with the testing, it sounds like you have a short somewhere in the wiring. It might even be in that connection you used to test the motor. Make sure it's making good contact with the wires from the harness.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I should have posted this update before. We simply had to replace a fuse and the fan motor began to work properly. I appreciate everyone's willingness to help and answer questions.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 11:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

hey ive had a overheating problem can anyone help ive changed the thermostat the fan realy fuse fixed the leask checked the radiator and even got a new radiator fan and also changed the sensor to the radiator fil tank now it still overheats i feel like ive lost hope any suggestions?
Old 20 Apr 2012, 06:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Overheating = radiator fan not working properly (both speeds), partially clogged radiator, bad thermostat, water pump not working, trapped air in the coolant system, cracked head gasket, cracked head.

Old 10 May 2012, 10:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Guys, I've seen postings time and again about the radiator fans and guesses as to diagnosing the problems, overheating engines, etc. In the OEM Service Manual there is an entire section dedicated to the engine cooling system and how to troubleshoot it. I was going to post this in my library thread but it's locked, so I'll post it individually until Crewzin unlocks it.

Now, the service manuals are different for '06 and up, however if I were you and I was troubleshooting overheating problems, I'd download both because they both have excellent info in them.

Here they are, you can download directly from my web library:
2000-2005 PT Engine Cooling System
& 2006 and up PT Engine Cooling System.