Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hello, please help. My '06 is having strange dash problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2011, 11:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Hello, please help. My '06 is having strange dash problems

I have an '06 PT Touring edition. It has 66,000 miles on it. I have had the car for about 2 years now and have had no problems what so ever with this car. I love this car, and I just want it fixed.

Here is what has happened:

About 3 weeks ago I was rear ended on my way to work. Minor damage, and I kept driving it to work until I could get it to the shop.
A week later when I went to leave work the car started acting really strange. Started the car and all the dash lights came on, including one light I had never seen before which is this small red dot (which I have started calling the red dot of doom). The headlights, brake lights, and turn signals still worked but there was no noise when you turned the signal on. The odometer and spedometer also would not work. We drove the car about half way home and stoped at my sisters house because it was closer. I tried to look up and see if it was a fuse issue and I couldn't find anything. When we went back out to the car and tried to unlock it the alarm started going off. I managed to get it to turn off after putting the key in and turning it half way. The car started and we drove it home and parked in the drive way. The lights internally would not turn off, so we took anything valuble out of the car and left it unlocked incase the alarm wanted to act up again. The next morning it was dead.
Had it towed and the body shop that was doing the repairs fixed the car and told my insurance it was fine. Spoke to the shop and they said it was still acting weird. They did fix a wire that had been messed up on the reverse light after we were hit. So I drove it and it did the same thing a few days later. I took it to a mechanical shop and he can't figure out what it is. He said he pulled 21 codes and can't figure out what's going on, he's had the car for about 4 days now and he can't get it to act up. I trust him because he's good family and has been my reliable mechanic since I started driving. He has no idea what's going on and I'm at my wits end.

I love my car and I just want it working again. If anyone has any ideas or good advise, maybe someone else who's had this problem and had it fixed could tell me what they did and what it cost I would appreciate it so much.

-Jennifer
Old 11 Apr 2011, 03:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Hello, please help. My '06 is having strange dash problems

Sounds like the months of problems my kid had with her 01 after a rearender. There are lock sensors in the doors, at least the front doors and the rear hatch. They were damaged possible by the accident but probably by the repair technician .... surely for the door sensor since it was not hit directly and barely touched by the fender being pushed into it by the car she was pushed into.

Make sure this is all fixed or you will be resubmitting claims to the insurer, cost over $400 to get it all fixed and much time ... do it while they are renting you a car.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1