Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Helpful help and advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2011, 11:46 am
Young Cruiser

Thumbs up Helpful help and advise

Hello all, my name is Robert but you can call me Rob, all my friends do. I have a '03 GT cruiser. It's basically stock. Candidally, I decided within a few days of buying my PT that I hated it. The only thing I liked about it was that it sure did move quick with that turbo. Since I bought it (used), I've done a repair or two on it. I'm not a mechanic nor have I tried to be with my past cars. Out of necessity however, that has changed, times being what they are. The more time goes by and things fail on the car, as they will, I have started to (and I cringe to say this) started to fall in love with this car. Spending countless hours under the car under the hood and online researching, diagnosing and trouble shooting issues has formed a bond between me and the car. In large part this is due to this and other forums. I have found an almost ( forgive me here) freakish dedication to these cars that I continually benefit from. What I find striking about the PT forums is the quality of people who own them. What i mean is the advise is useful in it's mixture of facts, experience, and most importantly the prudence of steps and care that I personally feel comfortable trusting.
I have used this forum to guide me through: front wheel baring replacements, security or anti-theft issues, oil sending unit replacement, valve cover and plug seal replacement, turbo replacement, oil changes, Map sensor replacement, seized spark plug in the #1 cylider and a whole host of issues along the way to those projects. I registered for the single purpose of saying thank you. Thank you for all the help you have given and all the questions that have been asked by people like me who need a little guidance no BS and confidence to isolate, exicute and solve a problem so they can get the kids from practice and get to work on time.
This weekend I will do my timing belt tentioner idler and water pump, and once again I found my direction to start here and I will no doubt tap your forum for issues along the way.
Thank you thank you thank you.
Your friend ( and fellow freak I guess ),
Rob
Old 13 Apr 2011, 11:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Helpful help and advise

so what your saying in so many words is we turned you into a mechanic

Glad you have bonded with your car

I have spent many an hour over the years cleaning, waxing and maintaining my cars. Somehow I think they appreciate it in some way because I have only been stuck twice on breakdowns and only one of those times on the road.

People who perform good maintenance on their cars generally speaking have a better experience and enjoy their cars more.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 13 Apr 2011, 12:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hello Bob and welcome to the forums

Exco

Bill
Old 13 Apr 2011, 12:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

I still know jack crap about maintaining my own vehicle. Im hoping that these forums can change that as I have tools (My fiancees dad past away and I got all his car tools) But I know nothing about cars.

Rest assured even though there are how-tos on this website ill still be posting my own post probably doing a live video feed of me trying to repair something lol!

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 13 Apr 2011, 01:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Great to have you stop lurcking Robert .... I finally started posting a few weeks ago but joined a longer time ago. I think you find certain types of people buy certain types of cars, I find the same hospitality here as I do on the VW Beetle site(s) ... they are both stylishly distinguisable cars so people that don't like Ordinary own them. I can't say the same for a lot of the Non Beetle Specific VW sites nor the Honda sites I have been on.

Hope the belt change goes great and you help another reluctant mechanic just starting out with the vast experiences you have now gained.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1