PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 pt cruiser help pls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Apr 2011, 11:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2004 pt cruiser help pls

2004 PT CRUISER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI I NEED SOME HELP PLS! ...DRIVING ON THE STREET THE CAR JUST STOPED, TRY TO STARt THE CAR AGAIN ,,BUT NOTHING ...TOW THE CAR HOME,AND I CHANGE THE FUEL PUMP....and tryed to start but no luck! the starter sounds ok ,full battery anf half of tank of gas.....i search the net and i found this site...read lots of postings and went to the car and read de codes ...i got p0340 ,,,so i change the camshaft sensor......BUT NO LUCK AGAIN........i was just wondering if somebody please can give me a NE IDEA of what to check....as right now i have no codes.....a friend of mine told me that his pt cruiser gave him trouble wth the oil pressure sensor !!!!! shoul change that too???????? PLS IF ANYBODY COULD GIVE ME A HAND HERE I WILL REALLY APRECIATED.....thanks in advance...
Old 17 Apr 2011, 05:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 2004 pt cruiser help pls

sounds almost like your timing belt may have broke how many miles are on your cruiser
Old 20 Apr 2011, 12:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 pt cruiser help pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mityqwik View Post
sounds almost like your timing belt may have broke how many miles are on your cruiser
wow! i have to say ....thanks for your help, right on the money!!!! after i read yoour reply,i went to the car and inspect the top of the engine by the timming belt and the first thing i notice was the motor mount was broken (rubber part) i took it out and when i got the belt plastic cover .........well the belt was not broken but ithas all the teeth missing (kind of like my granpa.) lol.......ok so , yes ..bad belt , now i learned that the water pump could be the cause...so i got the belt and pump nd motor mount all for a grand total of 135.58......i am not a mechanic ,,,i worked for ford l.mercury selling parts for 6 years back when i was 23 .....the point is i start taking things a part and im king of stuck ...maybe i should let he pros take care of this one right? ......anyway....................MR MITYQWIK ...I WANT TO SAY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP BUT MOST FOR REPLYING TO ME SO SOON AFTER I POSTED MY ADD FOR HELP.....MY NAME IS ED ROMERO AND IM FROM VEGAS....IM A POOL SOLAR TECH ...IF I CAN DO ANYTHING FOR YOU JUST LET ME KNOW.....THANKS...A LOT......ed@pool-solar-service.com
Old 20 Apr 2011, 04:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by er1977 View Post
wow! i have to say ....thanks for your help, right on the money!!!! after i read yoour reply,i went to the car and inspect the top of the engine by the timming belt and the first thing i notice was the motor mount was broken (rubber part) i took it out and when i got the belt plastic cover .........well the belt was not broken but ithas all the teeth missing (kind of like my granpa.) lol.......ok so , yes ..bad belt , now i learned that the water pump could be the cause...so i got the belt and pump nd motor mount all for a grand total of 135.58......i am not a mechanic ,,,i worked for ford l.mercury selling parts for 6 years back when i was 23 .....the point is i start taking things a part and im king of stuck ...maybe i should let he pros take care of this one right? ......anyway....................MR MITYQWIK ...I WANT TO SAY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP BUT MOST FOR REPLYING TO ME SO SOON AFTER I POSTED MY ADD FOR HELP.....MY NAME IS ED ROMERO AND IM FROM VEGAS....IM A POOL SOLAR TECH ...IF I CAN DO ANYTHING FOR YOU JUST LET ME KNOW.....THANKS...A LOT......ed@pool-solar-service.com
wow, you seem like you gotta lot of energy. And sorry to hear about you haveing to work for that god forsaken company.
My name's Danny, my PT's Eve and we say hello from San Antonio.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 04:35 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

oh i forgot to ask, your new cam shaft position sensor, it's factory or aftermarket? our pt's only like factory parts. If you got your sensor from autozone or something like that, you may want to take it back and get one from the stealership, it's gonna be like $30's more but you pay for what you get.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 07:12 am
Senior Cruiser

How many miles on your car??

I would seriously recommend you bring it to a dealer and ask to have a tech who has done a few of these to repair it. Get a new mopar tensioner, belt, waterpump and if your motor mount is toast replace it. Might also have the cam and crank seals done at the same time. this will be a pricey repair but you should be good to go for another 90K miles.

Per the cam sensor, if you bought a new mopar unit keep it in servie and throw the old one in your glove box ,it is still good. you got the code because your belt snapped. If you bought aftermarket parts store brand, toss it because it will cause more headaches. Buy only Chrysler sensors, note I dont work for them but trust me you dont want aftermarket electrical sensors in these cars.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 20 Apr 2011, 08:41 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX

Wish he would type normally.....
Old 20 Apr 2011, 06:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 2004 pt cruiser help pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
How many miles on your car??

I would seriously recommend you bring it to a dealer and ask to have a tech who has done a few of these to repair it. Get a new mopar tensioner, belt, waterpump and if your motor mount is toast replace it. Might also have the cam and crank seals done at the same time. this will be a pricey repair but you should be good to go for another 90K miles.

Per the cam sensor, if you bought a new mopar unit keep it in servie and throw the old one in your glove box ,it is still good. you got the code because your belt snapped. If you bought aftermarket parts store brand, toss it because it will cause more headaches. Buy only Chrysler sensors, note I dont work for them but trust me you dont want aftermarket electrical sensors in these cars.
X2 what VNT said ,replacing all of these items while you are right there will benefit you later down the road,and your welcome, a lot of the old timers on this forum would ask or tell you the same thing,, i just type faster sometimes,and stay around if you have anymore questions post it some one here will answer you
Old 20 Apr 2011, 08:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTBlueLighting View Post
Wish he would type normally.....
His cruiser is sick and he needs a cold Sam Adams to calm down

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 20 Apr 2011, 11:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to partyd

It takes couple of hours to do and there is no to much space but i am sura you can do it
i am not a mechanic and i did my timing belt mi self in my driveway
remove the computer no need to unplug just lose the screws and let it go down , don't disconnect any ac hose and make sure you have two jacks
here are some of my pictues hope they help
good luck

pt cruiser timing belt
2008 Chrysler Pacifica awd