Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Still making that sound..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2011, 09:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Still making that sound..

Okay, so most of you know I bought a 2002 Cruiser two weeks ago. I noticed that sometimes the rear brakes make this grinding sound like I'm dragging something. I took it into a tire/brake place and they didn't hear it and looked at the brakes/cylinders/wheel bearings and everything and said that the car was fine. It only does it when the brakes are cold.

Any idea what it could be?
Old 18 Apr 2011, 09:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Still making that sound..

You have rear drums? That is a normal occurrence with drums, when they are cold the springs are filled with dirt and they tend to drag a little. It's not normally a big deal, your rear brakes last normally at least a third longer than your fronts.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 09:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you! That's exactly what it sounds like!
Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by applepiemommy View Post
Thank you! That's exactly what it sounds like!
There is a way to adjust these, automatically, but still takes a bit of work. You can do a few things to help this stop... you can take the drum off and clean out the interior, but it'll build back up pretty fast.

Simple How To on drum removal:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut
How to Remove the Rear Drum Brakes on a Chrysler PT Cruiser

Whether you're replacing the rear brake shoes on your PT Cruiser or you just want to clean and adjust the rear drum brakes, you'll need to remove them. The PT Cruiser uses a sealed drum which covers the backing plate trapping brake dust inside. The brake dust can often get caught in between the contact surface of the shoes and drum and produce a pronounced squeal when applying the brake pedal. Removing the drum and shoes will temporarily alleviate the problem until more dust builds up.
Difficulty:
Challenging
Things you'll need:
Floor jack
Jack stands
Wheel chock
Lug wrench
Drum brake adjuster spoon
Drum brake pliers
Needle nosed pliers
Flathead screwdriver
Instructions:
  1. Remove the rear hub caps and loosen the lug nuts of both rear tires with the lug wrench.
  2. Place a wheel chock in front of one of the front tires and raise the rear of the PT cruiser in a safe and secure manner. Support the PT Cruiser onto the jack stands.
  3. Locate and remove the rubber plug covering the adjustment porthole on the back side of the backing plate. Using the brake adjustment spoon, engage the teeth of the adjuster wheel and turn it in a forward motion to back off the shoe adjustment and allow the drum to be removed easily. Remove the drum and discard the brake dust appropriately.
  4. Remove the automatic adjusting spring using the drum brake pliers. Disconnect the spring from the lever.
  5. Apply pressure to pin of the hold-down clips using the needle nosed pliers with a finger on the rear of the backing plate. Turn the clip until the hole in the clip matches the flat end of the pin to release the clip.
  6. Use needle nose pliers to remove the parking brake cable from the actuating lever.
  7. Use the drum brake pliers or the needle nose pliers to remove the upper shoe spring.
  8. Tip one of the shoes downward to relieve tension on the lower show spring and remove the spring by hand. Clean the rear brakes as desired and to replace, reverse the procedure and adjust the shoes to the drum.
Now, there is an old school method for tightening up your rear brakes, and all it takes is for you to back up, hit your brakes, pull forward, then back up, hit your brakes. You want to back up pretty fast and stomp those brakes. Do this maybe half dozen times to 10 times and this will break some of the dust free and possibly tighten up your brake shoes.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

"Now, there is an old school method for tightening up your rear brakes, and all it takes is for you to back up, hit your brakes, pull forward, then back up, hit your brakes. You want to back up pretty fast and stomp those brakes. Do this maybe half dozen times to 10 times and this will break some of the dust free and possibly tighten up your brake shoes. "

I'm so old school that for me it's just school!

I like that one the best, and at the risk of looking like a moron, I think I'll try that one.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Sounds like your got the same brake system as my 21 year old F150 .... It started doing it again about a year after I replaced ALL of the rear brake components. According to members posting in the 1987-1996 Truck area of the ford trucks forum .... this is normal and usually only stops for 6 months. Guess not driving the truck as a daily let me go twice as long.

As for my PT, have not noticed any problem like this from the OEM rears, even at 76K. I have not opened them up to check them though and just replaced my fronts for the first time last week with 1/3rd pad still left but 1/8" wear on both sides of the the rotor.

Hope you can figure it out .... I know how agrevating it is, my truck locks the rears sometimes when I am stopping from 15mph for the first two stop signs from my home.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

PT rear drums tend to last quite a while. Those that get taken out for a bath, like in a stream, etc., tend to not last as long. Lots of them in rain and snow work great as the rear drum is sealed, unlike the old school drums. I remember pulling up to a stop light in my '66 Marlin and hitting the brakes and nothing happened! Course, I'd just gone through a "stream" across an alley and soaked my brakes...doh....

Another thing that can be done to break them loose is find the bumpiest of roads and knock the spit out of them. But, I'd try the back and forth motion first. You should be able to back up 50 feet and hold the brake hard enough to drag the fronts. Good luck!