PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Fan Runs But No Air Comes Out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2011, 07:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fan Runs But No Air Comes Out

After about 45 minutes of running, the air barely comes out of the vents etc. I can hear the fan running and the selector switch seems to work going from vent to defrost etc. I can hear the damper door change for recirculate. The air is blowing like mad somewhere in there, but it doesn't come out anywhere. Anyone had this problem?

Found the problem. The AC evaporator is freezing up which blocks airflow. It is either the low pressure switch isn't cycling or the system is low on refrigerant.

Last edited by tomgrigsby; 11 May 2011 at 01:45 pm. Reason: Problem Solved
Old 20 Apr 2011, 09:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Fan Runs But No Air Comes Out

Having both an 01 and an 06 in the family ..... I can say the air conditioning systems are rather different between the 01-05 and 06-10 models. Can you help us with some more info?

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 20 Apr 2011, 11:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

sounds like the "squirrel cage" part of the fan might be broken. what you are hearing could be the fan motor running.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 03:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
Having both an 01 and an 06 in the family ..... I can say the air conditioning systems are rather different between the 01-05 and 06-10 models. Can you help us with some more info?
Thanks for the replies.
Sorry, 03 Touring Edition - non turbo. When I turn the fan speed up, the fan sounds like it speeds up normally and everything gets louder like normal; when I switch to Recirculate, the door for that operates and blowing sound gets much louder just like normal. This leads me to believe the cage isn't slipping on it's shaft. There is definitely air being pushed around, but it doesn't come out anywhere no matter what is selected (vent/heater/defrost, etc.) If I turn everything off for ten or fifteen minutes I can sometimes get normal operation again that lasts for a half hour or so.
I saw some references on the internet to others having experienced this problem, but haven't found a solution. I've worked on cars all my life doing many of my own repairs including having done rings and bearings in a Subaru, but I've never heard of something like this and of course I'm hesitant to start tearing into the dash.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I can't direct you specifically where to look, but I had a similar problem, not to the extent you seem to have though. There are so many (too many imo) things on these cars run by vacuum, it's ridiculous. I had a vacuum line behind the control panel in my center console, below the radio, that was crimped from when I'd had the cover off. Opened it up, found the hose, pulled it straight, and no more problems.

Now, that's an '06. On the previous years the systems operate differently. I've glanced at the service manuals for the '03 and '06, and the section for diagnosing this problem is too lengthy to go into here. I'll PM you some particulars, but there are several steps to go through to chase this down. You would need to look at the diagnostics and determine which setup matches your configuration, then follow through the steps to troubleshoot.

Just looking at heater control on the '06, there are three fuses specific to that section of the HVAC. I didn't even get any further as I'm not feeling well, but wanted to help out. Have you gone through all your fuses? Do you think you might have a vac leak?? These are a couple things you need to look to. Also if you've had that center console cover off, you might consider looking back there for twisted wires, crimped hoses, lost children....etc.

I'll pm you here in a sec....

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!