Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PCM Part Number?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2011, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PCM Part Number?

I need to get the part number off my PCM in my 2001 PT Cruiser so I can order a new one. Where do I find it?

Any help would be appreciated. I have been on this website for the last two days and have LEARNED many, many things about the PCM, including the first thing I looked for how to see what the code was after the check engine light came on. This information has been invaluable to me and I am now at the point to order the computer. Of course they want the vin#, mileage and the part number if I have it. I would like to provide it so I get the correct computer the FIRST time.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: PCM Part Number?

Part number is located on a white label on the pcm itself. Here is an example.

Old 20 Apr 2011, 07:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you! I know from the forum it is mounted on the driver's side firewall so I will look there.

Any tips on installing this computer? I am a female, so I won't be doing it!! I am ordering it so my husband can put it in next week when he gets home from 7 months in Australia. He is a Crew Chief on sprint cars and builds racing motors so I think he should be able to handle this, I hope!! But any tips you have on installing this would be helpful. We don't have onboard computers on the race cars yet!!

Or should I post another thread on this?
Old 27 Apr 2011, 11:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Replacing a PCM is just like replacing anything else. But I do recommend that you wear all cotton clothing clothing when you replace it, if you don't want to purchase an anti static mat to stand on. Static electricity discharges can short out an ECM. That is why they (just like all computer boards) come wrapped in anti-static plastic. Cotton doesn't conduct static. Or spend the money and buy an anti-static mat.
I've done a bunch of PCM / ECM swaps and have never used a map, but that's just me.

Oh, and it doesn't matter if you are a woman, you can still work on a car. I do all the time.

Best of luck!