Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Guy Here With A Question..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Apr 2011, 10:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New Guy Here With A Question..

Hey guys I just recently turned 16, and I was thinking about getting a PT Cruiser for I like there retro design, and the amount of cargo space they have!

Well, my real question what do people think of someone my age driving one of those? I'm a big guy, and I'm not that grand with the ladies so I just want a vehicle that has a lot of cargo space so I can carry my computer stuff around when I go traveling during the summer. I really don't care what other people think about me LOL. But, I don't want people making fun of me. XP

Along with that a good 2005 Dark Blue PT with 84k miles is available around here, and I was looking at it. (Not only do they have an AWESOME retro(ish) look, great cargo space, there really affordable!!) So, anyways if you guys could give me your opinion on that I would really appreciate it!!
Old 23 Apr 2011, 10:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New Guy Here With A Question..

Welcome to the forum.

You've come to a forum that's 99.9% filled with people that like or even to the point of love, their PT Cruiser so your not gonna find too many negative comments about the cruiser itself. Some of the parts could have been made better to last longer and they weren't worried about $5 a gallon for gas when they made the PT.

You should get somewhere in the lower 20s for mileage and you should have the cruiser checked out thoroughly before laying out any money. The front suspension, including brakes and bearings should be checked. The cooling system including the A/C system should also be checked out. There's a major service which includes the timing belt and water pump dues at 100,000 miles and if you can't do the work yourself, parts and labor will run about $1000.

As for people making fun of you, we have every shape and age you can think of on this forum. Lots of younger drivers like yourself and a large bunch of ah....more mature drivers like me. Once in awhile owners report negative comments from other people on the street but mostly it's from someone that really doesn't know what the PT is like and they just don't like the shape of the cruiser. Nobody is going to change their mind about that. It's a love/hate point of view.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Apr 2011, 11:04 am
Cool Cruiser

NewToPTs2011
Sounds like a good car for you. It has lots of head and foot room.
I am 6 foot 2 and I have lots of room in the car. It does have lots of cargo room. If you fold the seats down in the back you almost have a van.

If you have any other questions...... every one on these forums are chocked full of useful information and are some of the nicest people to ask!
Don't be afraid!
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 23 Apr 2011, 11:08 am
Regular Cruiser

I'd say go for it! Get the car checked out, and make sure that it's as sound as it appears.

I'd say the PT is a great car for a teenager. I may be passing the baton so to speak to my son in a few years when he becomes of driving age.

good luck

Exco

Bill
Old 23 Apr 2011, 11:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

the pts were made for a big guy
theres a ton of room in there.you wont have to worry about sitting with your butt to your ankles at all.plenty of leg room and head room.

as for your age.im 18 and i love my cruiser.you can always find something wrong with cars but this car will definitely grow on you.i know from personal experience.not to mention its an easy car to customize if you dont like the looks.

id say get it looked at and go for it
Old 23 Apr 2011, 11:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Go for it, I am 72 and really like our PT, it is our 3rd one. Welcome to the Forum.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 23 Apr 2011, 11:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the replies guys!!

@chigger
That good cause i'm 6 foot 1 =D

Can you guys give me any ideas on what questions to make sure I ask the dealer(s) when I go to look at that PT Cruiser (and possibly other ones)?

Thanks Again!!
Old 23 Apr 2011, 11:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

The ladies LOVE the Cruisers.

Seriously, think of Michael Buble and John Legend. Retro cool dudes who clearly have NO problem with the chicks. (The fact that they can sing might have something to do with it, though...)

Go for it!

Penelope Cruiser
Old 23 Apr 2011, 11:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

PS: When buying one, make sure that you run a Carfax to make sure you know about the vehicle's history. I didn't want one that had been in an accident, had been part of a fleet/rental, or had been salvaged.

Then, make sure it's been completely inspected by a mechanic. Depending on where you buy it, you might want to have it independently inspected. Inspectmyride.com will do a great job. I was looking at a woodie and found that the sunroof motor was broken and it would have cost a LOT to fix that.

Make sure you look at everything yourself. Tires, interior condition, the engine... And of course, test drive it. Make sure it's a good fit for you.

Just cuz you're young doesn't mean a thing. You've got the money, you're the customer, and they are there to serve YOU. Don't be afraid to walk out the door if they're giving you the runaround.

Penelope Cruiser
Old 23 Apr 2011, 12:41 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

If you like it, just go for it...don't matter if your friends like it or not...
I have two boys 18 and 15 and they call me "PT freak" or "PT qwer" ....but ...believe or not, all of their friends love my tricked out PT and they all want to ride in my car..
By the way, if you need a free carfax, PM the vin number and I'll send it to you.