PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
So there comes a day (when you sell yours)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2011, 01:54 am
Young Cruiser

Default So there comes a day (when you sell yours)

Need advise from all PT owners.
For those who don't know my past troubles with my PT, here's the run down.
Original owner of a Limited 2005 turbo purchased new in 2005. Now it is paid off. Exterior mods all over. Yet mechanical troubles all over. So the repairs and maintenance (oil changes/tires/brakes) total over $7,000 since I bought the car. Yet the repairs have nothing to so with the mods.
Here are the repairs I have had to do since just a little past the 36,000/warrant expiration mark - meaning all out of my pocket:
rack and pinion
A/C
Serpintine Belt
MAP
Coil Pack
2 rounds of spark plugs
Camshaft sensor twice
front right motor mount
radiator cracked
2 batteries
left front motor mount

A few of these things should have never happened at the mileage it did like rack and pinion and the radiator cracking -
It's come to the point to where it will cost me as much to maintain my PT as it will to finance a new car. I need a new timing belt and have been told part and labor will be about $1000. My exhaust stinks to high H-ell and I am guessing it's the cat. converter. There's another $1000.
I love my PT, yet I feel like I've had my years with it customized and fun, but it will continue to be a money pit.

There are other factors facing me that make me realize I need to sell my PT, but it's hard considering these factors: I've customized it on the exterior so much that there's no other like it; I know PT's are no longer made - do I hold on to it just to save a cool car?

I truely feel like I got a lemon based on other PT owners I know and have read on here. I tried to lemon it with Chrysler years ago and it didn't work.

Ultimately I was told I could get $4000 for it from a big name used car lot. After all I have said here, do you all think I should just get rid of it for the cash, keep looking for a smaller used car lot for maybe more $$$, keep it and still get a new car?

HALP!
Mopar CAI, removed muffler, hidden exhaust, ceramic brake pads, 15" custom House of Kolor, Purple Baby Moons, rear dropped 2", roll pan, rocket lights AAAAND every repair under the sun for my little lemon
Old 25 Apr 2011, 03:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: So there comes a day (when you sell yours)

From 36k miles to 71k you had to get all that done?

Geez....

The timing belt cost sounds about right, though if you shop around I'm sure you can save 200-300 bucks with a different yet reputable mechanic or two.

The catalytic converter in no way should amount to 1 grand. You can;
A. Purchase a used stock downpipe (it has the CAT inline) from another PT Turbo or SRT-4 (the SRT-4 will require 3-4 inches added at the end, easily done)
B. Purchase a CAT alone for about 100-150 bucks. Exhaust shop will cut your downpipe where the CAT is, and weld in the new one.

Either option at MOST should cost you $200 bucks or so, give or take.

I see you had to replace your coil pack? Those rarely give out but it does/can happen. Surprised you weren't suggested to replace your spark plug wires first...which are the real cause of our spark issues.

Two sets of spark plugs given at 40k miles is nothing, I like to change them every other oil change or so (6k miles each time using NGK coppers).

Camshaft is another common one as well, and normally gets replaced with the crankshaft sensor. Easily done without a mechanic.

Now batteries, what kind of batteries are you running? Did you ever let your battery completely die/discharge (don't ever do that). I'd also suggest you get your charging system checked out free at any/most Autozone's.

Motor mounts will be dependent on your driving habits. I just bought the upper/lower and replaced them myself about 2-3 months ago. I kid you not, I just went to O'Reilys 2 days ago AND today (formerly known as Kragen Auto Parts) because I broke my motor mounts AGAIN. I've got a limited-lifetime warranty on my motor mounts since I purchased the mounts through them. Got my upper replaced for free 2 days ago, and noticed this morning I had clunking so I checked the lower and sure enough it was broken. Getting it swapped out free once it arrives this Tuesday.

I know I've been all over the place but just thought I'd try and make sense of a few things and also give you a more realistic (or simply better) option torwards some of your troubles.

Btw, I see you're in So-Cal...how far from Salinas? Alot of that stuff (minus the timing belt) I can do and have done for a few non-member PT Cruiser owners for free. I'm sure someone out there in So-Cal wouldn't mind lending you a hand...just sayin'

Anyway, best of luck with whatever you do. I'd be interested in your car if it was a 5-speed (be nice to have an extra full set of parts)

PS Nvm about the 5-speed, just noticed it's a Limited as stated in your sig.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 10:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like you got hosed on those repairs. Besides the rack and pinion steering those should have been pretty inexpensive repairs. You may want to keep the car and find a different mechanic. And you can buy a cat online for under 200 and have it installed for an hour labor at any muffler shop so grand total 300 bucks. You need to be educated when you go to some mechanics or they will get you good. Good luck .

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 25 Apr 2011, 12:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Hi there!
Thanks for the responses.

Most of the repairs I did at my Chrysler dealer. The rack and pinion and A/C went out just past 36,000 so I ended up convincing Chrysler to do the rack and pinion for free since it was just past warranty and the A/C was free too because they ended up dinging my car so I made them pay for the A/C too.

I did a few of the other repairs at Chrysler thinking if I kept repairing it at Chrysler to keep record of it if the day came that it could be lemoned, it would all be legit repairs in Chrysler's eye. I fought them for so long to lemon it because of the long list of repairs and they ultimately turned me down.

So that's when I started going to my own mechanic - one I trust - family has used them for 20 years. The repairs with them were half the cost of the dealer. So yeah, I got hosed through the dealer.

I looked online for new CATS and all I could find were ones not legal in California. The only one I found legal in Ca was $500-600? I must be looking in the wrong place.

Not sure which battery I had.

(I know that doesn't help)

The 1st set of plugs were through the dealer. Then the Coil pack went and it was blamed on the plugs, so I had to get all that replaced.

I just feel like I got a lemon all over and it's been such a bummer. I love my PT but I just don't know how long to see the value in keeping it.
Mopar CAI, removed muffler, hidden exhaust, ceramic brake pads, 15" custom House of Kolor, Purple Baby Moons, rear dropped 2", roll pan, rocket lights AAAAND every repair under the sun for my little lemon
Old 25 Apr 2011, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm not going through your posts line by line but I will say that a lot of what's been repaired sounds like bad advise from whoever told you that you need the parts. A coil going bad because of bad plugs, give me a break.

As far as, should you sell it or keep it, hard to say. If you can't trust a car to just jump in a take a ride across the state or cross the country, my opinion, get rid of it. You still haven't talked abut (unless I missed it) the suspension or transmission, and unless you've done some good preventative maintenance, they could give you problems at any time.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 01:48 pm
Young Cruiser

All the repairs occured because my car kept braking down and stalling. I was doing 80 mph and it just died. That was the camshaft sensor for the second time. I made it to the shoulder and the car kept chugging and if the clutch was slipping.

my car died several times and that was the coil pack.

and yes, to address the jump in the car thing - nope - I don't trust it to drive much further that outside my county.

I've done all oil changes on time, fluid flushes, replaced rear struts....it's just so sad to me that I really think I need to get rid of it.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

really if you dont trust your car to do what it is suposed to do Id get rid of it and get something i could depend on I drive a lot of miles and i can have a car i cant trust and relaly you shouldnt either
Old 26 Apr 2011, 03:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Just checking in here-- $7,000 for only those repairs? Dude, you seriously got ripped. I could see $1500 of that for the timing belt replacement if they did the water pump, and all other belts while in there-- I could understand that, cause if you've ever done it yourself, you'd want to charge a shit ton more than $1500 to do it. But.. for the rest of those? Maaaan...