Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
tail light water issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2011, 09:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Default tail light water issues

My one back tail light keeps getting water in it whenever we have God rain you know almost biblical in proportion. Well anyway it seems we have been getting these kind of storms a lot lately. So the question is what to you guys use to seal it with? To they sell some kind of weather stripping that you can install on the light. I mean I know I could put some clear silicon on it but that will look like poop if you get close enough. Gotta do something it keeps blowing the bulbs. Thanks guys in advance.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 26 Apr 2011, 10:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: tail light water issues

You have a small crack in the lens or on the back side of the light. A good light doesn't get water into it no matter how hard it rains so take the offending light out and check real close on all the edges and where the bulbs on into the back and see where there's a place for water to get in.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 12:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You have a small crack in the lens or on the back side of the light. A good light doesn't get water into it no matter how hard it rains so take the offending light out and check real close on all the edges and where the bulbs on into the back and see where there's a place for water to get in.
X2. Water getting into the back side from the wheel well. I took mine out and filled it with water and looked where it was coming out, and sealed those areas with RTV Silicone.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had a leaky tail light and tried fixing it with plain silicone, never could get it to work and to look good too. So, found this thread at PTCrew about baking open headlights, and used the same process to open my tail lights and then reseal them. Used a very good marine silicone sealant around the edges and never had a leak after that.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 07:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks guys, so I will inspect the sucker tomorrow but of course were suppose to have some major weather again. I picked up some good clear silicone, and I have wanted to replace them anyway with some aftermarkets. I just spent a ton of dough on shocks and struts and lower control arms so I'm hoping I can fix them and give my credit card a few weeks to cool off.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson