Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2011, 11:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile AC Question

Hello, new here. Just purchased a 2005 Limited PT with 119,000. and love it. Just noticed that the Air does not work. I do not hear, or feel the compressor kicking in. Could this be because it needs recharging or could it be something worse? How can I tell without taking to a mechanic? I can do small things like oil, brakes, belts etc..
Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 27 Apr 2011, 12:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: AC Question

Do you have a set of manifold gauges so you can check the pressure in the system?

Farrar
Old 27 Apr 2011, 01:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
Do you have a set of manifold gauges so you can check the pressure in the system?

Farrar

If not ... do you have a Harbor Freight around you ... they have a cheap enough set to get you the info needed to diagonse the system like this one
A/C Manifold Gauge Set & Other Manifold Gauges - Harbor Freight . You can find many resources online on how to read them, discussed in a bunch of A/C threads here in the last 2 weeks or so.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 27 Apr 2011, 02:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe you have a a/c shop locally? If so, let them check it out, they usually with check it for free, hoping that IF work needs to be done you will let them do it.
Where in MI do you live?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Apr 2011, 09:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Maybe you have a a/c shop locally? If so, let them check it out, they usually with check it for free, hoping that IF work needs to be done you will let them do it.
Where in MI do you live?

I live near Lansing.

Thanks
Old 29 Apr 2011, 09:10 am
Regular Cruiser

You can go to a local Auto part and get a cheap Recharged Kit/Gauge and connect it to the service valve (right on top) and check the pressure and if need it punch a can and load r134a follow the instructions.

- Recharging Kit

- Quick check Gauge

The normal functional level is between 25-55, the right pressure will be set depend of the outside temperature running at maximum the A/C, the kits come with a comparative table.

Good Luck
Old 29 Apr 2011, 03:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPT07 View Post
You can go to a local Auto part and get a cheap Recharged Kit/Gauge and connect it to the service valve (right on top) and check the pressure and if need it punch a can and load r134a follow the instructions.

- Recharging Kit

- Quick check Gauge

The normal functional level is between 25-55, the right pressure will be set depend of the outside temperature running at maximum the A/C, the kits come with a comparative table.

Good Luck
Thanks for the tip. Was wondering about that too
Old 29 Apr 2011, 10:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

remember, overcharging the system is as bad as undercharge.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: AC Question

ok so i went and got a recharge kit for my cruisers a/c. thought that i had located the correct pressure valve to recharge the system,went ahead and filled it with a twelve ounce can that had the sealant,oil and refrigerant all in one. was working fine for 24 hours. then i rechecked the pressure next day to see if it was leaking. used the same valve i did when i filled it, and thought that it showed that the press. was to high so i salvaged the coolant and lowered the press. back down. then used a new can to make sure i had good full amount of refrigerant. ran ok for about 3 hours blowing cold air inside the car, then after shutting the car off and starting it back up about a half hour later it began to over-heat and blow oil out of the vents on the inside all over the windshield. so i obviously did something wrong, what i need to know is did i just completely ruin my a/c system? can it be saved if i filled in the high press and not in the low press by accident?

Last edited by joshuazepeda; 30 Jun 2012 at 10:53 pm.
Old 01 Jul 2012, 09:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sounds like you found out why it didn't work I the first place.

The evaporator core has a leak. Whether you exasperated the problem or not doesn't matter at this point. You need to change the evaporator core, accumulator and expansion valve.

BTW, you cannot fill from the high side.

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.