Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 pt touring overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2011, 11:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 pt touring overheating

this is my first post,so here goes I got a 2005 PT yesterday from my dad.It has 197k miles,but my nephew just put a new motor in it,it's a 2.4 auto.they did new rad,struts and all.now i have it and it run's great,But today while at a drive through,(ralleys)lol.at idle the temp just kept going up,till the alarm went off,I turned it off quick before it got to red line,sat an ate with hood up to cool down,I have noticed the gague stays right in the middle while driveing,even at red light it dont go up.stoped bye napa,to as about fuses or the fan,he walked out with me,we couldnt tell if the big fuses were blown,but he had me start it with the air on high and the fan never kicked on.my nephew say's the fan worked when he put it in,but my mom when telling her about said yea it did that to me at pizza hut.any ideas? sorry so long a post.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 11:24 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 pt touring overheating

Maybe the fan is bad. Find the plug an unplug it and see if you have power with a tester. If you have power the fan is bad.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 11:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will try that tommorow,thanks.now to find the plug,lol.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 03:26 am
Cool Cruiser

The original rad fans and their connectors are nothing to write home about.
Most of us have replaced the rad fan. Either one speed or the other have gone.
These fans are 2 speed.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 08:56 am
Cool Cruiser

I haven't had this problem yet in the 06, maybe they made it better for 06+, I am betting the 01 did have it before we bought it by some cooling system work I have found done (not that well) on the car. Is it possible to put current directly into the fan itself to see if it is working. I know it is two speed, which probably means there is a ground and 2 hot wires, one for each speed. Anybody know if this is possible, or is it like my stupid Frigidaire Fridge with the computer chip on the fan so you can't test it and that chip is usually the problem.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 28 Apr 2011, 10:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just re donned my head gasket and timing belt on my 01 limited, and when i check the fan only one speed was working.I had no fan with the air con on.The black wire(center one on mine) is ground and each blue wire are the speed. Just put a ground wire to the black one and a live wire to each of the blue one,one at the time, and the fan should work when you connect the blue wire. On the original fan the speed are different.On the new on I installed both speed are the same
Old 28 Apr 2011, 04:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilescruiser View Post
I just re donned my head gasket and timing belt on my 01 limited, and when i check the fan only one speed was working.I had no fan with the air con on.The black wire(center one on mine) is ground and each blue wire are the speed. Just put a ground wire to the black one and a live wire to each of the blue one,one at the time, and the fan should work when you connect the blue wire. On the original fan the speed are different.On the new on I installed both speed are the same

I wonder if juice through both of the blues is for high speed? I will have to look at the wiring diagram one day when I have some time to get more confused!

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 28 Apr 2011, 04:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

After banging on the shaft of the old one to take it apart, I retested the motor again and this time both speed were working, and one was turning faster than the other one.The aftermarket fan assembly that I put in both speed were the same.