Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Starter not engaging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2011, 12:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Starter not engaging

I went to crank my 2002 PT yesterday and nothing happened. The battery's good. Everything seems to work but there is complete silence when I try to start it. A neighbor came over and tested the starter by crossing the 2 studs on the selonoid. The starter spun but didn't engage. He said the starter was bad. I went to AutoZone and purchased a new starter and installed it this morning, but it's doing the same thing. Completely dead when I try to start it and just spins when I cross the 2 studs. The starter relay checks out OK. What else could it be?

Guppy
Old 28 Apr 2011, 01:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Starter not engaging

Solenoid?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar

Last edited by Hooligan; 28 Apr 2011 at 03:13 pm.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 01:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes. The solinoid that comes mounted ontop of the starter. Sorry if I mispelled it.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 02:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry. "Solenoid"!
Old 28 Apr 2011, 03:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The solenoid is the part that pushes the starter drive gear into the ring gear which causes the engine to start.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Apr 2011, 07:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Im having the same problem with my boyfriends cruiser. I've got a thread going on it as well.
Here is my advice...
1) Are there 2 little red dot lights that are coming on when you turn the key instead of just one? If that is whats happeneing, it's your SKIM locking out your car. That's what mine is doing. Return that new starter if you can and get your money back, then figure out what to do about your SKIM problem.
If that is not the problem...

2) Check the little wire that goes into your starter. Is it getting 12 volts? If it's not, chances are your starter is fine. It's not getting a signal to tell it to turn over. Check the relays in your fuse box under your hood. All the black relays are the same. There is a diagram on the underside of the fuse box cover that tells you which relay is which. Swap your horn relay and your starter relay. Try to use your horn. If your horn doesn't work, your starter relay is bad. Replace it.

3) Check your voltage going into your power distribution center. That's the thing that all your fuses inde your hood plug into. Is it getting 12 volts? Is your starter getting 12 volts? Is your ignition getting 12 volts? If not, replace your battery cable. They are notorious for going bad because the cable is only an 8 guage. You can pick up a much better 4 guage cable for about $13 at your local parts store, cut the length you need, strip the end that is going to get clamped onto your barrey, and screw it into your battery terminal. Or you can spend $85 on a cable at the dealership. Your choce. Modifying the inexpensive cable only takes 5 or 10 minutes though.

4) Check the starter relay cavity for proer output. Pin 2 is your ground. Pins 4 and 5 should both read 12 volts with the ignition in the start position. Is it getting voltage? If it is, then check your ignition replay in your in engine fuse box. Replace if needed.

5) Take off your steering column and remove the multifunction switch. On the left side of your column is the ignition switch. Pin #6 (with the wire harness still attached) is the top right slot. With the ignition switch on, check to see if there are 12 volts coming from pin 6 (I used my door pin as ground since it was one of the few bare metal areas that is easily accessable and it worked great.) Is it getting power wirh the key on? If it is, and your car isn't turning on, It may be the ignition switch. Find a good way to test that. I don't know the test proceedure.
If that isn't the problem...

6) Ok, we rare getting to the bottom of the barrel here. Try starting your car in neutral. Or try pushing your shift lever all the way up while in park and try to start it. Did it start? Your neutral safety swith could be shot. Find another way to test it, replace if needed.
If that isn't the problem...

7) It could be your ECM. DON'T REPLACE YOUR ECM WITHOUT GETTING THE NEW ONE FLASHED TO YOUR CAR!!!! Even if its a used one of the same year with the same tranny, don't replace it without getting it flashed. If you do, your car wont run.

So I hope that helps a little and gives you some ideas to check out.
Good luck and keep us posted!!!
Old 29 Apr 2011, 01:03 am
Senior Cruiser

Per my service manual, here are all of the conditions that could cause a starter to TURN but not to ENGAGE:

- Battery discharged or faulty.
- Starting circuit wiring faulty.
- Starter relay faulty.
- Ignition switch faulty.
- Park/Neutral starting and back-up lamp switch (Auto trans) faulty or mis-adjusted.
- Clutch interlock/upstop switch (Man trans) faulty.
- Starter solenoid faulty.
- Starter motor faulty.

Since you replaced the starter, we can rule out the solenoid being bad. It has to be an issue with either the relay, wiring, ignition switch, or your neutral safety switch (if auto). [Issues prioritized in order of likelihood]

Old 30 Apr 2011, 03:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK. It's up and running. I replaced the ignition switch, but when I took off the old one a piece of metal feel out. Turns out a piece had broken off of the ignition actuator. I replaced that piece and all is good.
Thanks for all the help.
Guppy