Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
QUESTION ABOUT TRANSMISSION OIL CHANGE ON A 06 PT CRUISER

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2011, 06:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default QUESTION ABOUT TRANSMISSION OIL CHANGE ON A 06 PT CRUISER

I have a 2006 pt cruiser with 61000 miles base model 2.4 non turbo. I'm changing the tranny oil in about a week or so. I was reading some thing about resting something on the computer for the tranny on these cars after the oil change I believe it was on this forum were I read this. Is there somethingelse you have to do with the computer after a tranny oil change? or just change the oil and filter and ad oil and hit the road? Any advise would help thanks
Old 01 May 2011, 06:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: QUESTION ABOUT TRANSMISSION OIL CHANGE ON A 06 PT CRUISER

Cy, I'm assuming you have an automatic transmission. However, I don't know what you mean by "resting something on the computer for the tranny".

If your PT is an automatic, change the oil with ATF+4 only (nothing else will do). Change the filter also. Fill it back up (measure the exact amount of old automatic transmission oil you took out of your tranny--then put that much back in ... although it's messy, it's necessary so you don't overfill).

I can only guess that you're concerned about performing a "Quick Learn" on the computer--after changing your tranny oil. It says to do this in the shop manual. However, many Cruisers here have changed their oil and no Quick Learn was required.

Good luck.

Tim
Old 01 May 2011, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks a lot yes its a automatic sorry I forgot to mention that. You hit the nail on the head quick learn that's what I was reading about. So your saying I don't have to do this after I do the oil change
Old 01 May 2011, 09:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cy, my 2003 PT Limited needed the Quick Learn. The dealer screwed something up when they changed the oil and they had to perform the Quick Learn. But many others on this forum have changed their own auto trans fluid and had no problems whatsover. No Quick Learn was necessary. Go figure.

Still, you need to get a Hayne's Manual. It has all the info you need to properly change your auto trans oil. Sequence and torque of pan bolts, etc. Th "O" ring, filter, etc. Amount of oil, type, gasket sealant--all you need to know. Lot's of stuff to make it so you don't srew things up. The Hayne's Manual is cheap. Get one for your year, as mine is for PT's 2001 to 2003.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 01 May 2011, 09:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mind didn't need it, but my PT is exceptionally bright...........silver

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 01 May 2011, 10:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

my 06 was pretty simple pull pan change filter clean pan do it in reverse order fil it up till dip stick says full and drive it like ya stole it

ok so actually i have done my 06 3 times and I may have been lucky but it never needed the relearn but some do the ATF 4 is some good stuff i guess they sure want enough for it
Old 02 May 2011, 11:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: QUESTION ABOUT TRANSMISSION OIL CHANGE ON A 06 PT CRUISER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
my 06 was pretty simple pull pan change filter clean pan do it in reverse order fil it up till dip stick says full and drive it like ya stole it

ok so actually i have done my 06 3 times and I may have been lucky but it never needed the relearn but some do the ATF 4 is some good stuff i guess they sure want enough for it
same as cruserdad i have changed my 06 , 3 times and and did not do the relearn proccess
Old 02 May 2011, 12:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Done twice and didn't need to reprogram transmission "Re-learn process", to take precaution just disconnect battery before the fluid change, go to a local Auto Parts for ATF +4 (5 qts) doesn't matter what brand is it but I recommend you to get Mopar filter and RTV gasket preferred the black one. When you add new fluid just put 4 qts and on "Parking" check the level of fluid and add if need it.

In case you need to do the re-learn process there are instructions to follow but don't be scare Just disconnect battery before. Check this Thread.

Transmission Relearn Process. How to Avoid it?

Good Luck
Old 02 May 2011, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks a lot everyone for all the great info. I'm looking at Castro or valvoline ATF+4 full synthetic oil or does it not matter as long as its ATF+4. I know one of you guys put down that doesn't matter just trying to be on the safe side on what oil I use
Old 02 May 2011, 03:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think all ATF 4 is full syn> I dont think i matters just as long as it is ATF 4