PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I thot my tranny would last forever . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 May 2011, 08:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default I thot my tranny would last forever . . .

But alas, it died. A snap ring snapped (what else are they supposed to do?) and the internals "blew up" and cracked the case. Fortunately I have the extended warranty and they replaced it. Only $100 charge on my part. The used tranny has about 12K (mine had 47K), so I am pretty happy about that.

After driving it, I realized that my old tranny was not staying in high gear when traveling at regular speeds. I had noticed it would go there (lockup?), but then pop out. The new tranny stays there. Probably related more to the programming, but I'll take what I can get. I like the slightly tighter shifts of the new tranny too.

The dealer flashed everything to current specs, so I am moving along nicely now. I suppose if anything was to go out at 100K, it'd be the transmission, so I just bought myself an extra 30K miles. 30K takes me about 3 1/2 years to achieve. It'll be another 7 years before I get to 100K miles on the car.

2008 Turbo Vert

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Ben Franklin, 1706-1790

Last edited by vtmdsm27; 07 May 2011 at 09:04 pm. Reason: mispellings
Old 06 May 2011, 09:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I thot my tranny would last forever . . .

I thot my tranny would last forever . . .

You "thot" wrong. Nothing lasts forever.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 May 2011, 11:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

It should have lasted longer than 47k though.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 07 May 2011, 07:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
It should have lasted longer than 47k though.
Yes your right but I was replying to the title of his thread not what happened.

The history of the 41TE transaxle isn't a good one. A little research will tell anyone that it's been around for a long time first used in Chrysler's Mini-Van. It didn't have a good reputation back then. Any one of us that hasn't had a problem (including me) are the lucky ones and good preventive maintenance, hopefully, will keep it running smoothly.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 May 2011, 08:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Yes your right but I was replying to the title of his thread not what happened.

The history of the 41TE transaxle isn't a good one. A little research will tell anyone that it's been around for a long time first used in Chrysler's Mini-Van. It didn't have a good reputation back then. Any one of us that hasn't had a problem (including me) are the lucky ones and good preventive maintenance, hopefully, will keep it running smoothly.

Yeah no doubt it's not the best and the solenoid seems to be a major issue. But I've noticed the bulk of the blown transmissions come for the GT's because hooking this maybe almost just good enough for a N/A PT to a turbo was a big mistake.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 07 May 2011, 08:30 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I think is just luck.... My wife's 01 N/A transmission went at 78k miles
Old 07 May 2011, 09:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well, I've worked in journalism for over 25 years, and in web design since 1996. So, I'm pretty good at sensational headlines. Looks like I caught somebody's attention!

Though I definitely won't say that's my best work

I changed tranny fluid at 41K, based on what a lot of folks on this forum recommended. I doubt the fluid would have stopped a weak part from snapping.

The warranty company ordered the tranny. They said it only had 12K on it. So I reckon there's a chance it came out of an 09 PT. I do like it mo' better. They have to warranty it for another 53K, so I hope they done good. (sloppy grammar intentional)

2008 Turbo Vert

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Ben Franklin, 1706-1790
Old 07 May 2011, 09:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You "thot" wrong. Nothing lasts forever.
Revelation 1:8
“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

Eternal Life lasts forever! Of which, I am daily thankful to Lord God Almighty. Our life is but a whisper.

2008 Turbo Vert