PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Why wont my windows go down!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2011, 02:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default Why wont my windows go down!

Well this afternoon I finished installing the rest of my sound equipment and sat in the car to test the sound, to keep from having any shattering glass from vibrations I went to roll down all 4 windows, the back 2 went down but the front two did not. When i hit the button again I realized that pushing to lower them does nothing, but pushing to raise them causes them to move up slightly until they realize theyre already up. So they were all working fine this morning. But what would cause both windows to not roll down?

Today is one of the warmer days so far since weve owned the pt.

I found an old post on the issue but no one seemed to have an answer, but this person had the same issue as me but this is the first this has happened in the month ive owned the car
front windows won't roll down. HELP!

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com

Last edited by Dill; 07 May 2011 at 02:09 pm.
Old 07 May 2011, 02:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Why wont my windows go down!

A couple of things to check, remove the trim plate around ducts/radio and see if the connector is fully seated. I would even unplug it and re-plug it in.

Also these cars are really weird and unhooking the battery (then pressing brake pedal to bled off last of power through tailight bulb) wait 10 minutes fixes a lot of bugs.

The wifes 06' factory radio would not work (just light up, no sound) I removed the battery cable like above...still didnt work. I then removed the POD fuse and inserted back in and the radio works ever since. I know the POD should have only affected the memory but something is tied into the radio as it works.

I dont know if there is a seperate fuse for front or rear but since the rear also has the passenger switches, i think the front switch isnt connected good.
Old 07 May 2011, 02:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Oops double post. Darn ipad

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com

Last edited by Dill; 07 May 2011 at 03:02 pm.
Old 07 May 2011, 02:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Now heres something to add to my original post, when I remove the switch, unplug it, and plug it back in I can roll the windows down ONCE and back up. After I release the down button it wont go down again but I can hit up several times and itll go up each time I press the button... So so far I know the windows work, but its as if something in the window switch resets when I unplug it and when I use the switch again it says oh somethings wrong lets not let tthis work next time he presses it down

Old 07 May 2011, 03:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
Now heres something to add to my original post, when I remove the switch, unplug it, and plug it back in I can roll the windows down ONCE and back up. After I release the down button it wont go down again but I can hit up several times and itll go up each time I press the button... So so far I know the windows work, but its as if something in the window switch resets when I unplug it and when I use the switch again it says oh somethings wrong lets not let tthis work next time he presses it down
Dill-

in looking at my 03 wiring diagram, the windows circuit is protected by a circuit breaker (#2). If their is a large draw in rolling the windows up or down the breaker will trip and then you have to wait a bit for it to reset itself. sounds like there is either a problem with it or you might have a short in the front window switch that is creating a load. Being that it's warmer outside, could that be making the windows not slide in their tracks smoothly because they are binding? Are the window moldings worn? if so then that would create enough of a load to trip the breaker because the window motor has to work harder.

Hope it helps!
Old 07 May 2011, 03:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Would something wrong in one window cause both of them to not work cause of a breaker? I might try taking apart the switch and checking all the connections. But id really be curious as to if its something in thewindow, one or the other, or in the switch. As I said, it just seems like something resets when I unplug and plug back in so the whole circut breaker thing makes sense

Old 07 May 2011, 03:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Would something wrong in one window cause both of them to not work cause of a breaker? I might try taking apart the switch and checking all the connections. But id really be curious as to if its something in thewindow, one or the other, or in the switch. As I said, it just seems like something resets when I unplug and plug back in so the whole circut breaker thing makes sense
Dill-

Yes. all the windows are supplied power from the same power circuit. the reason why the rear probably work vs. the front is that the front ones are used more than the rear. hence the theory of the front windows binding (due to possible worn moldings, or dry/non lubed window tracks) and creating a load because they do not run up and down as smooth as the rears. Just an assumption. Replacing the breaker before going after anything else is the cheapest way to go, parts and labor wise. That's what I would do before you risk taking the switch apart. just my 2 cents.
Old 07 May 2011, 04:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I would also suggest down loading the shop manual from the tech section and looking at the power window wiring diagram. Hope it helps!
Old 07 May 2011, 04:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Am i looking at removing the door panels to make sure everythings clean? If so I may as well replace the stock front speakers lol

Old 07 May 2011, 04:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Am i looking at removing the door panels to make sure everythings clean? If so I may as well replace the stock front speakers lol
Good call on the front speakers, I managed to shoehorn some 6x9's in my front doors while still retaining the stock look on the doors. Judging from your system might be worth while. As I stated before go for replacing the breaker, they are only a few bucks and see if it resolves your problem unless you were going to replace your front speakers anyway, while you are in there take a look at the window tracks and moldings that they ride/slide on. make sure the tracts are lubed and not old/dried out grease, check the moldings in the upper part of the door to make sure the window slides smoothly within them. can post picks of my 6x9's if you opt to do so and it helps.

Last edited by fabreezai; 07 May 2011 at 05:04 pm.