Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gauges went out? Need help please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 May 2011, 06:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Gauges went out? Need help please!

Recently I've been having a problem with my 2002 PT Cruiser. I diagnosed the problem as being a faulty radiator cooling fan. While I'm waiting for the part to arrive, I decided today to remove the old part that way I'm already halfway done when the new part arrives.

Well, I'm done with that, and now when I try to put the car into auxilary, or try to turn it on for that matter, none of the lights or gauges on the instrument cluster seem to work. I've already checked all the fuses and they're fine. It's very unusual, because I wasn't working anywhere near the instrument cluster!

I'm so frustrated. Please, any suggestions you have is greatly appreciated.
Old 08 May 2011, 07:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: Gauges went out? Need help please!

I'm sure you checked the dimmer right? what does turning on?
Old 08 May 2011, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, it couldn't be the dimmer, because then the tachometer and all the other gauges would be working. Right now it seems like for some reason the cluster isn't getting power.

From what I can tell, all the other electronic components (lights, power windows, locks, seats, wipers, radio, etc.) in the vehicle work. Completely stumped...
Old 08 May 2011, 09:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnc112105 View Post
Yeah, it couldn't be the dimmer, because then the tachometer and all the other gauges would be working. Right now it seems like for some reason the cluster isn't getting power.

From what I can tell, all the other electronic components (lights, power windows, locks, seats, wipers, radio, etc.) in the vehicle work. Completely stumped...
ok so what happened when you moved the dimmer back and forth?
Old 10 May 2011, 07:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'm not quite sure where this is going. When I move the dimmer back and forth nothing happens. The cluster does not appear to be getting power.

I did a little more searching online, and I'm going to try to replace the cluster and see if that fixes the problem. Maybe when I reconnected the battery I accidentally fried something.

Do you happen to know if a used cluster needs to be reprogrammed before I can install it?
Old 10 May 2011, 08:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds to me like your not just an owner but a shop that's working on someone car. Your ready to throw in a whole new expensive cluster because of your problem. Doesn't matter as we try to help anyone that comes to the forum.

You say you checked all the fuses but does that include the PDC under the hood, especially the IOD fuse and also a second look at the cluster fuse No#10 in the interior fuse box? I've read abut a "Gauge control module" but not exactly sure where it is.

The cluster, I believe, if you want to put out that kind of cash, needs to be programmed for the speedometer reading or else you'd have a 2002 with whatever mileage you happen to want to put on it.

If non of that works, try typing in "pt cruiser instrument cluster problems" into Google and you'll see hundreds of threads devoted to the same subject and maybe one of them can be your answer.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 May 2011, 05:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Nope, I'm an owner. I actually have 2 PT's, a 2004 off-white convertible and a 2002 black PT. The black one is the one being a PITA.

Already checked the fuses in the Power Distribution Box, those are ok. I will double check fuse #10 when I get a chance and let you know what I find. I have a feeling that it's going to be fine though. The fuses were the first thing I checked after the cluster stopped working.

If anyone has any other information about this "gauge control module", please share. When I searched google Sunday night I found a thread from some guy who had a nearly identical problem, but he just happened to have a bad fuse. I probably won't get so lucky.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am currently having a similar issue with my 03 PT Cruiser. About 3 weeks ago my power windows, radio/cd player, windshield wipers, windshield wiper sprayer, turn signals and inside light that shows outside temperature gauge and compass all simultaneously went out. I have replaced all of the fuses under the dash as well as under my hood (including the IOD fuse). Sadly it didn't work. Being that they all went out at the same time, I am assuming that all components may be joined/wired to the same control switch. That which I have no idea. I have yet to find anyone with all of the same issue. I'm desperate here. Any advise would help.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 05:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Fuse #18 in the PDC (Under the hood) and fuse #10 or #13 in the interior fuse box all relate to the interior lights your speaking of plus the instrument cluster and overhead console. If all the fuses are good, both your guys gotta take the panels off the steering column (not hard) and start looking for breaks in the wiring or chafes in the harness or loose electrical connections with parts of the harness.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 09:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Awesome! Thanks for your reply. I have replaced all fuses. The problem is still persisting. I will definitely do as you instructed regarding the steering column. Also I forgot to mention my A/C fan isn't blowing either and my cigarette lighter fuses went out as well. I'm baffled that all of these things could go out at the same time!