PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Upper Timing Belt Cover Removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2011, 01:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Upper Timing Belt Cover Removal

Hello, Cruisers!

I'm fixing to replace my upper motor mount (strut), and first I'm going to try doing it without removing the headlight ( I need to do this if all else fails because my particular A/C line routing is directly over the old strut). But I'm thinking that I need to pull the upper plastic timing belt cover (to increase room for pulling the old strut, after pushing over the A/C lines a little) if I can. But I don't see any way that this timing belt cover is attached.

Anyone done this before--with the engine in? Let me know how you did it. I just hate bustin' plastic parts (I'm really good at it).

Thanks,

Tim
Old 10 May 2011, 05:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Upper Timing Belt Cover Removal

Tim,

I'm sorry nobody replied to your question. I've never done it myself so don't know the particulars of the job but I have seen others talk about it. It's just the right people haven't seen your question. Maybe by me replying, it will bump it up and you'll receive the help you need.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 May 2011, 07:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You don't need to remove the timing belt cover...
I found this...maybe will help you

Help! Engine Mount replacement
Old 11 May 2011, 11:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Great pics. I'm curious as to why you want to replace that mount? Does it need it?
Old 11 May 2011, 12:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I do them about once a week at work. no need to remove anything other than the 2 15mm bolts on the engine side of the mount and the 1 18mm bolt on the body side of the mount. Once they are removed, the mount can be brought up between the engine and the a/c lines. I just push the lines toward the fender about an inch or so and pull the mount up. Same goes for installing the new one. Very easy to do and can be done in about 5 min without air tools.

Dont be afraid to push the a/c lines over. You will not damage them. We (and all other dealers) have been doing this since these things hit the lot in 2000. No one has damaged the lines following this procedure.

I can make a quick video if needed.
Old 11 May 2011, 01:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Now ya jinked it
Old 11 May 2011, 02:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

/\/\ I highly doubt that
Old 11 May 2011, 07:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks, everyone!

Yes, the top strut is a bit used up. I had the wife put the PT in Drive and Reverse, and the engine did a bit too much moving. Also, I had the dealer check my belts a while back (it's free), and they told me the strut needed replacing. They do good work and I actually trust this dealer, believe it or not; but they are also expensive. They want to remove the A/C lines, evacuate the system, etc., to replace the strut. And they want $600.+ bucks to do this job. I may trust them to a point--but not that much ....

So, after reading many threads on the forum, and being somewhat handy with my cars (no engine rebuilds or stuff that intense), I figured I could do the job myself.

I noticed that some PT's are a piece of cake to do the top strut because the A/C lines aren't in the way at all. Others are just "sorta" in the way. But my A/C lines are very much centered over my strut. It seems that when they gave me a new A/C system a few years back when the car was still under warranty, they might have done me wrong when routing these lines. I don't know for sure. It's more than likely that some years have their A/C lines directly above the strut, and the A/C replacement (it was free, except for the $50.00 deductable, and included a lot of stuff due to metal in the lines, condensor, compressor, etc.) was just like the one they took out. Who knows.

Still, I wanted as much room as possible because I didn't want to rupture the A/C lines while pulling and replacing the strut.

I'm going to go ahead and pull the lines toward the the fender--and damn the torpedoes! If I get too paranoid, I'll just pull the headlight and get some experience on that.

Thanks, again, guys.

Tim
Old 09 Dec 2011, 12:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi All and sorry for hijacking this thread but I'm doing a some research on taking my upper torque strut and found this.
I've read and looked at videos on how to change the strut and thought it would be a piece of cake. Unfortunately, the 18 mm bolt won't come out. The threaded nut at the bottom, which I'm guessing is supposed to be welded to the bracket the strut fits into, is spinning ( I can actually feel it doing so). Best as I can tell because of rust the bolt is in there tight and the corroded weld broke off.
Anyone know which size nut that would be?
It's a very tight squeeze fitting a wrench underneath never mind a socket. I'm not ever sure, from what I can feel with my fingers, that it's a full size nut that will accept a socket or wrench so if you have one of these brackets handy, or haven't encountered this let me know..

Thanks
Old 12 Dec 2011, 09:55 am
Regular Cruiser

I don't remember it being welded but it has been a long time since I did mine and I might be thinking about the rear shocks. I had an easier time with the struts than with the shocks.

Lots of soaking in WD40 might help the rust. Cutting is always an option.