PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pt cruiser automatic transmission topic

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2011, 09:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default pt cruiser automatic transmission topic

I've been reading a lot on these forums and internet on how pt cruisers automatic trannys aren't very good and have a lot of break downs. I know a lot has a lot to.do with proper maintenance. My question is what's the average mileage these transmissions last? and what are some early signs for early transmission failure?Quote me if I'm wrong but I believe the early model pts have different trannys then the newer ones? I have a 06 so I'm mainly asking for the transmission on my year of car. My transmission is fine by the way I was just curious about those two things
Old 10 May 2011, 10:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: pt cruiser automatic transmission topic

If you're running a turbo, expect the life to be shorter especially if you're boosting in overdrive, if it's an NA, then you should have no problems with it lasting well past 100k WITH PROPER MAINTENANCE.

Me, I've never taken my PT to an oil change house, none of that 20 minute and done crap, but I do go to a friends shop once in a while. I stand there and watch as they do all the work so I can be sure it's done to my standards.

Now I've got a manual tranny, so not as many issues, but even it needs care and maintenance. So be careful where you take it and make sure whomever touches it, does so gently and with care, and uses the proper products.
Old 11 May 2011, 05:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

All PT Autos up to '03 were all 41Te, then in '04 they came up with the 40te - which is the same tranny, only with 2 instead of 4 clutch packs. ASll turbos continue to have 41Te.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 May 2011, 07:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Well the main issues with these transmission are the leaky solenoid pack(either the gasker between it and case leaks, or the solenoid itself), failed input output speed sensors.

Of course some people never seem to understand that they do need service.
A fluid and filter change and correct fluid are a must. Many folks dont want to do it themselves and dont want to bring it to a dealer so they have some clueless shop change it who dump dexron with and additive in it and that can have bad consequences.

I just bought an 06 with 4500 miles. I am going to dump the fluid in week or so and change the filter. I bought Redline C+ synthetic, which is speced as replacement for ATF+4(acording to Redline). I am told it is very good and the spec on it are nice, it is a Group V ester fluid and has a high VI index, low pour point, high flash point and correct friction characteristics.

I'll let you know how I like it once I do it.

A couple of techs I know at the local dodge store, tell me they never see any issues with the transmission. Was in the shop and they were changing the oil in a 05 Touring turbo and it had 140k+ miles on it and ran fine.

A better question might be asked, how many folks here have a Auto with
100K+ miles.

THe rest of the car I use Amsoil.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 11 May 2011, 09:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

I've got a couple dumb questions then. What does motor oil have to do with the transmission? And, could you describe the process for a do it yourself oil change? I learned how to do it in high school, but Ronald Reagan was president then. Things might have changed.

Penelope Cruiser
Old 11 May 2011, 10:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Your automatic is 41Te or 40TE. It requires ATF+4 transmission fluid. It is brigh tred in color when new.

You do know to check the fluid? Look in your Owner Manual for procedure.

like all fluids in your car, over time they become contaminated and breakdown with heat and age.

Heat kills your fluid, that is why you have a seperate cooler in the car just to cool the trans fluid.

ATF+4 is what they call a friction modified fluid. It is designed for these transaxles and torque converters. It is a Group 3 fluid, some call a semi synthetic.

You have pancake filter in the bottom of the trans held on by a couple bolts. It isnt the best at filtering, probably good to 50 microns. Cant make it to restricitve. Anyhow it needs to be changed and you have to drop the pan to get to it.

There are links somewhere showing this, but basically you remove the dozen 10 mm bolts holding the pan on, tap the pan to loosen it, get a ATF+4 shampoo( place a large container under the pan and leave a couple corner bolts in so when the pan brakes loose it wont fall and most of the fluid will drain into the pan).

Clean the RTV off the pan, and the mating surface of the transaxle. There is also a magnet in the pan which need to be cleaned off, it will be covered in fine iron particles which have worn off and attached themselves to the magnet. Remove the bolts holding the pancake filter to the valve body and also the small washer gasket at the neck of the filter, the new filter will have one and the old one could be stuck on the valve body, if so remove it.

Replace the filter and tighten the bolts. There is a spec to tourque these to.
Invest in a inch pound tourque wrench.

Reapply RTV to the pan. Line it up and install it to the transmission with a couple bolts. Install the remaining bolts. Then tourque to spec in a cris cross pattern.

Allow RTV to set up, go have a couple cold Sam Adams.

Refill with 4 qts ATF+4. GO drive the car and get the fluid warm up to temp, maybe 15 min ride. Park on level surface with e-brake on, put car in park, neutral, drive, neutral. leave in neutral and check fluid level. add if needed.
DO NOT OVERFILL.

Invest in Hayne manual, it has pictures and directions.

THis is a messy job but not difficult. Do it ever 30 K miles.

00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
Old 11 May 2011, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey VNT some good directions only 2 little thingeeesss
First the filter is NOT held on with bolts(not in my 06 n/a) the round tube holds it onto the tranny body you ned to be sure to change the 0 ring that should be supplied in the kit it is small and easly over looked

the second thing was that on my original tranny seal--- it was the kind that was rubber and metal and there ws no RTV and in the kit you get a gasket so i dont use rvt I will use a little Indian head shelac to help hold the gasket in place

And you are correct it is kind of messy I ordered a pan with a drain plug that will get the oil out then its just drop the pan change the filter and youare good to go

Mine hold a little over 5 guarts I did it at like 40-50,000 and again at 90-100,000 I mihgt do it again at 130,000 if I still ahve the lady
Old 11 May 2011, 11:50 am
Senior Cruiser

I mention the o-ring, in the directions. I called it a washer gasket, but you get the point. The filter must be held on to the valve body with some bolts, I'll look tonight at the mopar filter I have in my box of a zillion parts. To be truthful this is my first Mopar 4spd. i had a 3spd auto in my Spirit and that ran fine when I sold it at 180K miles. I changed the fluid in that a few times. I also have a 545 RFE in my jeep, hold 14 qt and a 46RE in My Durango which holds like 12 qts, expensive fluid changes when using Amsoil.

per your trans, you could have a gasket. My 06 wiht 4300 miles orignal has RTV.

You can use the gaskets if you like but I havent had very good luck with them myself on other cars. They tend to leak, but were aftermarket cork units supplied with the filter I think fram, now I only use mopar filters and RTV.

Mopar makes a RTV specifically for the transmission pans.

00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
Old 11 May 2011, 07:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: pt cruiser automatic transmission topic

vnt, my cruiser an 06 with 100k miles on it today and have changed the filter and fluid 3 times and used a rubber gasket from napa no leaks,
Old 11 May 2011, 07:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Looked at the mopar filter and it doesnt have any bolts to hold it to the valve body, just the O-ring and a couple stand offs to hold it off the valve body, learn something new everyday.

I guess it must be pretty snug with the O-ring to hold it.

My 545RFE has a couple bolts plus a special seal on the neck. The directions specifially say to remove the old seal and then put the new one into the valve body and make sure it seats correctly. Then put the filter in and seat the neck into the seal, You can always tell on the Jeep forums when someone screws that up, the trans looses suction and the trans acts weird and wont shift correctly.

00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4