Advertisements
01 Cruiser tapping....

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wwpptc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2011, 09:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 Cruiser tapping....

So a few days ago my 2001 PT, started making a light tapping sound. I checked the oil it was a little low, about 2 quarts, so i topped it off thinking that would take care of the tapping, it did not. Any ideas on what could be the cause? It sounds like its coming from the top end
Old 11 May 2011, 03:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01 Cruiser tapping....

"about 2 quarts" is half the volume of the amount of oil your supposed to have. Not good. But you may be in luck, but it won't be free. Here's a link to a TSB for the 01-04 PT Cruisers that tells the mechanic what to do about tapping. A TSB is a bulletin that informs the mechanic about a procedure. Not a recall, so you will have to pay to have it done.

Engine "tapping" Noise.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 May 2011, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the response. Think I'll be taking it up to dealership tomorrow if possible, have them check it out.
Old 12 May 2011, 11:15 am
Cool Cruiser

At two quarts low you've got a major problem... either that or you have a minor leak and just neglected to check the oil for a few months.

As the vehicle gets older you should keep a watch on fluid levels. I like to check oil, transmission, power steering and coolant levels at least twice a month.
Old 12 May 2011, 12:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You've got a rod knock. On small engines it always sounds like it's the top end.
Remove oil pan (EZ) and rod bearing caps (EZ). Check that crank isn't excesively scored / worn.
Replace rod bearings and rod bolts / pan gasket / o-rings.

Fill w/ oil, keep at specified level and clean. Keep engine at low RPMs for a moment
after starting.
Old 13 May 2011, 08:57 am
Banned

Sorry I'm late on this, if it truly is only a "light tapping" (think sewing machine) type sound then the TSB that was mentioned above is the most likely culprit. Not hard to do, but should be done by dealer if you have any doubts about your mechanical ability. One wrong move with the file and you're screwed. Here's a view with illustrations.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tapping sound -- page 1.jpg (72.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg tapping sound -- page 2.jpg (82.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg tapping sound -- page 3.jpg (73.2 KB, 20 views)
UptownSport likes this.

Last edited by wwpptc; 13 May 2011 at 09:00 am.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 08:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

another late thread addition but for future searchers; my PT was knocker also, won't detail here as typing is a pain, see other posts for too much description.

Turns out that one rod was being nicked on it side/thrust faces by the crank.

The easily visible evidence was a circular pattern of light scoring on the rod side (of course need to remove rod cap to see) along with excessive clearance between rod and crank THRUST faces on that journal (#3). In fact, #4 was on the high end of .005~.015" spec. You could also twist the installed rod and see visible rotation movement on both afflicted journal(s). In other words, excessive side clearance allows rod twisting, which will screw up the bearing sooner or later.

I actually think the original root cause of this is due to a design or manufacturing defect at Chrysler (I think someone rebuilt this engine once before - unsuccessfully!); when the #3 & 4 journals are at BDC, the crank thrust faces don't actually support / constrain the LOWER / BOTTOM section of the rod. You can see a 90degree-ish gap or corner between the rod and crank, meaning you can actually look into where the bearing is. #1&2 are NOT the same, those rods are supported along entire circumference during entire rotation of crank. Seems as if bad design or mold core shift produced a crank
that couldn't support the rod properly after grinding.

Anyone have an EDZ opened up right now to see if this is a issue on their engine?