Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
First tim PT Cruiser owner, advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 May 2011, 02:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile First tim PT Cruiser owner, advice?

Ok, I just bought a 2006 beautiful blue Cruiser Limited from Carmax. It has right at 60k miles on it, and they say they've done everything, but I want to know what I should do to make this five year deal worth it in the long run. I love the car, it's awesome.
I'm used to a 1996 Jag, by the way, but it just had too much wrong with repairs in the thousands, computer, etc, and it was time to switch over. I got divorced last year and didn't have good enough credit for a new one, so I got this. I paid blue book for it.
Advice on what to make sure is done?
Thank you!

Oh yeah, it has auto, a/c, cloth seats instead of leather (ugh), etc.

Last edited by mountainlassey; 12 May 2011 at 02:09 pm. Reason: Forgot to put in last line
Old 12 May 2011, 02:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: First tim PT Cruiser owner, advice?

Carmax usually does a pretty good once-over so everything should be good to go. Couple things you might do and questions to ask: To do, let the car sit at idle and turn on the A/C. Watch the temperature control and it should never go above half way no matter how long the car sits. Ask about the transaxle flush; if it was done and a flush not just dropping the pan which only changes about 1/3 of all the ATF+4 fluid it takes. Take a good long test drive, tight corners and up to speed to see how it reacts. Don't expect it to be anything like your Jag. Only the Turbo models have some extra hp to get up and go, but after saying that, it should keep up with 99% of the traffic on the road. It shouldn't be sluggish. Good luck with your purchase.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 May 2011, 03:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you!
I will do that. The car is taking two weeks to transfer from Tennesee, so I won't have it until around the 1st anyway. Right now, all I've paid for is the transfer fee ($200).
And if the things you say aren't done, I will try to make them do them.
I've been thinking about getting their extended warranty, too, because hey at $300 a month, I don't want things going wrong with it.
Even if I DO live 150 miles from the nearest dealer.
Thank you again
Old 12 May 2011, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

sounds like a good deal like crizin said its not a jag btu it is a fun car my 06 is a non turbo and it getts me to and from work every day and that is almost 200miles a day
keep the tranny fluid fresh run a good syntnic oil you might want to check the plugs and wires the stock ones are crap but its a easy fix---what to look out for are wheel berings radiator fan--Oh one more thing I have no idea what a jag getts in the MPG range but your PT will be in the 20-21-22-23 some will say more but on a relistic note 23 is topps
Old 12 May 2011, 06:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

I bought mine from Carmax a year and a half ago and have had no problems with it. I bought the extended warranty from them and they will pay any garage that guarantees its work, so you don't need to be near a Carmax dealer. You do pay a higher copay by not going to Carmax for repairs tho.

Mine gets 25-26 MPG on mostly highway miles.
Old 19 May 2011, 08:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

One more thing...I've been looking into something that Carmax offered me...before I pick it up on the 3rd...they said they'd put in a backup camera on it...
From what I've read, these are almost a necessity with this car. So...worth it? I have to make a decision in the next week...so it's ready when I go to pick it up...

Thank you!

P.S. Yes, I do have a long driveway. It's actually a little tricky. Ok, a lot tricky. I'm used to it...but that's with a different car. I"m going to park this one in the garage; to keep the birds off of it...
I was just about ready to call them and tell them to put it in, but I thought I'd ask here first from those who know
Old 19 May 2011, 08:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There's no room to turn around when you back it out of the garage before going down the driveway? No way to make a parking spot so you can just back into it and turn around? Better yet, make a spot to turn around so you can back into the garage, then just a straight shot out and down the driveway.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 May 2011, 10:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Lassey, unless your PT is a panel with no windows on the sides, I wouldn't worry about a back-up camera. Just look at what you have behind you before getting into the car (poles in parking garages, electrical boxes, etc.).

That being said, our PT has very dark windows in the rear and back sides. At night it can be very difficult to see what's behind--even with the back-up lights. But I don't know if a camera would help with that night situation, or not.

Maybe you should just " ... use the Force, Luke."

Tim
Old 21 May 2011, 12:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I use a backup camera on my vert as it's got huge blind spots with the top up. Here's where I mounted the display for it, under the center console:

Nice, low light camera that attaches to the license plate and is wireless to the display.