Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Would you buy this PT Cruiser?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 May 2011, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Would you buy this PT Cruiser?

I've been looking for a used car, and I think the PT Cruisers fit me well (never had one before). I've looked at over half a dozen ones, from both dealers and private sellers. This one stands out the most. Would you buy it for $4600?

2002 PT Cruiser (base model)
112,000 miles
Clean carfax. Was a rental for the first year of its life
Current owner has service records and says he just installed new timing belt and 4 new tires, and a new battery.

The one thing that concerns me is that the last entry into the vehicle history report is from July of 2009. Meaning it has not been registered in the last two years. It also shows a "loan or lien" reported on the third owner. The seller says he just finished paying for it. Why would someone keep paying for a car without registering it or doing the inspection for it for two years?

He says if I decide to buy it, he will take care of the inspection before the sale. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Old 12 May 2011, 05:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default Re: Would you buy this PT Cruiser?

Maybe hewas cheap and evading the law? It sounds good, particularly if hes done timing belt and water pump, plugs and wires.

I have some friends who are too cheap to pay insurance and reg and such and dont get it done to save money in this economy

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 12 May 2011, 07:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourne2ride View Post
I've been looking for a used car, and I think the PT Cruisers fit me well (never had one before). I've looked at over half a dozen ones, from both dealers and private sellers. This one stands out the most. Would you buy it for $4600?

2002 PT Cruiser (base model)
112,000 miles
Clean carfax. Was a rental for the first year of its life
Current owner has service records and says he just installed new timing belt and 4 new tires, and a new battery.

The one thing that concerns me is that the last entry into the vehicle history report is from July of 2009. Meaning it has not been registered in the last two years. It also shows a "loan or lien" reported on the third owner. The seller says he just finished paying for it. Why would someone keep paying for a car without registering it or doing the inspection for it for two years?

He says if I decide to buy it, he will take care of the inspection before the sale. What do you guys think?

Thanks
If I was you,

I would ask for, even a xerox copy of the title, take it down to your local DMV and make sure it is a "free & clean" title with no lien holders on it. With a 3rd owner/lien holder, makes me think that someone borrowed money against it. Title needs to be signed off on by all lien holders (not just a signature on the title, get paperwork from the institution/person that had a lien that it was paid off) before you can transfer it to you name. Other than that sounds good to me.

Hope it helps.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 12 May 2011, 08:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I believe it's a little pricey...$3000 is more like it
For that much money you can get an 03 GT with less miles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Last edited by XtrmDC2; 12 May 2011 at 08:58 pm.
Old 12 May 2011, 09:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

$3000? But.. but.. but.. new timing belt.. 4 new tires..

KBB says $4100 for a good condition one, but I figured the new timing belt and tires were worth the extra money, but I'm gonna try to negotiate it down. Thanks for the responses.

I'm not sure I can buy a car on ebay without looking at it first, not to mention the hassle for shipping it or traveling to get it. I've been watching craigslist and auto trader though
Old 13 May 2011, 12:52 am
Senior Cruiser

I would not buy it. I like to look a car over from top to bottom before buying it. Also, I want a squeeky clean title. Also, in California, at any rate, the new owner will have to pay for the years the car wasn't registered--unless it was registered as non-operational.

It just sounds fishy to me. And is the car really on E-Bay?

No way!

Tim
Old 13 May 2011, 02:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

No the car is not on ebay. It's a local seller. XtrmDC2 was just suggesting another car for me that happens to be on ebay.

This car is really clean and well maintained, but yeah I agree it's a little fishy. Like Dill said maybe he was just evading registration and this is in Texas btw.

I'm gonna give it another look, but I think this might be the one if I can negotiate the price down a bit and make sure the title has no lien holdings like fabreezai suggested.
Old 13 May 2011, 10:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Well .... Without seeing the carfax it is hard to say, but carfax lags behind in reports .... my VW did not show the second or third accident when I bought it at 23 months old, found it later when I ran it again. Usually if he has the title ... paid off and lein released, your milage may vary in your Non Napleonic Code jurisdictions.

Usually KBB Good Condition will take into account proper maintenance was done on the car, while it is a plus that the TB and WP was done and he has records, it should have been done by that mileage anyway and if it were not the car would move down to the Fair condition rating. I think the price is a little high considering I paid $5000 for kids 01 Limited Edition with 64000 miles in December 08 from a not dealership lot, car had perfect interior except for the POS material the dash is made of on all Mopars of that age, paint had some clearcoat issues starting and the previous owner did not have the power steering recalls performed. And that I paid $5900 for my 06 Base with Standard in perfect/excellent condition with 53000 miles in May of 09 from a private owner. 01 was a few weeks before Chrysler Bankruptcy announcement and 06 was while still in Bankruptcy, so that may have depressed the price.

I agree there are lots of people on our streets illegally ... be great if they were forced to get a bus pass for 2 years when caught, but our system is toooooo liberal, just show the judge the registration and proof of insurance on trail date even if not covered at time of citation and pay court cost.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 13 May 2011, 10:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Don't believe everything you read on Carfax. Most Carfax reports contain errors of one sort or another and many services/wrecks/etc are not ever reported. Carfax has just done an excellent advertising job and now everyone thinks it is the be-all and end-all of used car reports. I honestly don't trust it any more than those "free credit report" scams they have all over TV.

That being said, if you have questions about the vehicle take it to an independent shop and pay for a mechanic to go over it. It may cost you $100 but it could save you a lot of grief down the road. Get a copy of the title and take it down to the local DMV, they can tell you what's up with it.

Though personally, I've learned through experience never to buy a car with close to 100,000mi. I prefer not to purchase anything over 75,000mi. Even if the previous owner has done some work to it, high mileage vehicles can turn into money pits and the last thing you want to do is lay down several grand for something only to have to lay down several more in repairs right off the bat. I prefer something that I can get a year or two out of before having to make any significant investments into parts/labor.
Old 13 May 2011, 02:54 pm
Young Cruiser

In Some areas, the prices of cruisers still remains kind of high.....Central VA being one of them, so 4600 does not seem too far off to me if the car is clean and the seller has the records of the timing belt and other service done..

Don't worry too much about the carfax.......Carfax is far from perfect, but it's the best system in place to check for accidents, etc.

If the car is clean, and checks out OK, and most importantly, if you like it...then go for it.