Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Towing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 May 2011, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Towing

I am going to buy a 2002 Woody, and I want to pull a 98 Coleman Cheyenne pop up behind it. I have seen many different opinions. The engine should be a 2.4, I know that they have unibodies, I think that the engine should be big enough, so if they can't it has to be due to the transmission or the unibody. Does anyone have experience with this or knows the answer. thanks
Old 14 May 2011, 04:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Towing

Your question to me is not very clear, what are you actually asking? The PT has a 1000 pound towing capacity, but you need to factor in the total payload to better understand what you can really tow. Also you're going to have a tongue weight limit, based on the type of hitch you are using.

From the 2002 spec sheet:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler PT Cruiser 2002 Specifications
Maximum towing capacity: 1000 lbs.
Maximum payload: 865 lbs.
The PT tows pretty well, but you must factor in quite a number of items. I'll try to make up a list for you, hope this helps answer your question:
  • Ride height - if it's lowered you have to reduce the towing capacity and tongue weight
  • Tires/wheels - spec above is based on 15x6's, larger tires/wheels aid in towing
  • Tires - make sure you have them aired up to the proper pressure
  • Turbo - when towing, try NOT to get into boost if you're on a automatic tranny
  • Body - long as you stay within the specifications for towing weight, tongue weight, and total payload there should be no affect on the body. Exceed these limits, and all bets are off.
Other than that, same issues you'd have on any car. You need to get the right hitch, installed by a reputable shop, make sure you have changed oil, checked spark plugs, I suggest changing plug wires, make sure you're tranny is serviced, make sure your tires have good tread depth and are aired up properly, make sure you have a good trailer wiring kit, I also suggest a backup camera as you can watch your trailer from it, make sure you've had the chassis lubricated, suggest running 93 octane fuel while towing (assuming you're not buying a diesel export model). I could go on and on, but these are all just common sense suggestions good for any make or model of vehicle. The main concern here is not overdoing it, try to stay under that max towing capacity, and don't overload the car.

Last edited by Chromenut; 14 May 2011 at 04:34 pm.
Old 14 May 2011, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The camper weight is about 2000, I want to know if I can pull it with a PT. I have a KIA Sportage that has a 2.0 in it, the PT has a 2.4, so then why can a 2.0 pull the camper and a 2.4 can not. Is it due to the unibody or transmission.
Old 14 May 2011, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's a combination of unibody, tranny, drive train, stance, tires, wheels, and vehicle weight. The PT is one heavy beast and it dramatically reduces towing capacity. I don't know that you could tow that with a PT.

Others, please voice an opinion here!!!
Old 14 May 2011, 04:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Had a talk with my neighbor who is a gear head, he told me that as long as the car is heavier than the trailer there should be no problem. I have also read on different posts that the hitch is the main concern. A after market hitch is needed, what do you think. I do not want to tear the PT up.
Old 14 May 2011, 04:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Me, long as you're careful, and you don't exceed tongue weight, I'd think it would be fine. Don't think you're gonna cross many mountains though...lol.... yes, need a very good easy lift type hitch for that.
Old 25 Jun 2011, 06:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am purchasing a small retro camper that is 1400 pounds. I have a 2003 PT Cruiser. PLEASE tell me that my car can pull it ! I will not be gunning the motor, and don't live in a mountainous or hilly area, nor do I plan to travel through any mountains or hills. The total passenger weight will be about 340 lbs, between my husband, son, and myself. It should be ok, as long as I take it easy, right?
Old 12 Jul 2011, 11:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I usally pull a lot of trailers and usally they are way over weight but them im not all that smart however I dont think there is any problem but like already said the PT is Heavy and under powered now a 5 spd turbo i pull that puppl any place you wanted to go
Old 19 May 2013, 09:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 02 Limited with a factory hitch. Had anyone had any experience with towing small boats? It is an automatic and I know about not pushing the tranny or the radiator (did that and thankfully turned the heat on high to save it).
Old 19 May 2013, 09:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

From what I've read, and as stated above: Chrysler's own hitch is OK to tow up to 1000 lbs BUT, if you upgrade to a Class 1 hitch, you can go up to 200 lbs.

As also stated above, going over mountains, driving through the dessert for 8 hours at a time would put a high strain on the engine (non-turbo).

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Trailer Hitches at CARiD.com

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.